Sherwin-Williams - Good place to work but watch out for bureaucracy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Good place to work but watch out for bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate
Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company takes time to make sure that all employees are up to date on the latest and greatest product offerings. Furthermore their training (although boring and tedious) is helpful when you are trying to help a homeowner. This is a service job so you will be dealing with customers but in general Sherwin seems to promote the right people to run the stores.

Cons

This is a large corporation and you will fill out paperwork... a lot of paperwork for everything you do. Furthermore, even at the lowest level you are expected to be able to juggle tasks that may far outweigh your pay grade (e.g. large orders for industrial coatings and the like)

Advice to Management

Streamline your process for record keeping, I understand that we need to document everything but please give us better tools to do it.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

"Good untl the end I worked there for over 20 years"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good products , good benifits , good 401k match

Cons

small staff long hours 50 + per week more interested in company than in customer or employee it has gotten this way in the past 5 years

Advice to Management

Respect and listen to your people in the field and not so much in the corporate office

"Good company, unrealistic goals."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Best company in their field.
    -Benefits-good 401k matching, health and dental
    -Great coworkers

Cons

Where to begin.
    -Discord between upper management and stores-Your goals are unrealistic. Your methods may have worked in stores 15 years ago but now they are obsolete. You see the reports, emails, programs we have to do. You either turn a blind eye on us or don't care. Take your pick.
    -Work/life balance. Probably one of the worst I've seen. Don't have a 3rd key? Good luck. Be ready to work 55-60hrs a week to make it work. There are no lunch breaks here.
    -Understaffing- trying to do more with less. This is impossible. The company does a bad job forecasting the upcoming year as we ride the ups and downs of the market. We are reactive rather than proactive. I feel sorry for stores that are mid level with a diverse customer base. You will continue to get hammered all day, everyday trying to juggle customers, phone calls, mistint logs, customer complaints, Ready Everyday programs, price negotiations, Lead Generation, face to face sales calls, Seal Island.
    Budgets-Everything is based on unrealistic numbers. Don't hit them. Negative review. Transferring of large commercial jobs to the commercial stores-great but budget other stores for their potential loss of business.
    Lead Generation-Good program, unrealistic goals. How many calls do you think are falsified? 50 calls a week on a short staff?

All the things you have read about gender, race, and advancement in other reviews. THEY ARE ALL TRUE.
    A lot of the positive reviews you've seen here. That's the HR department trying to boost a score on GlassDoor.com
    I didn't mind drinking the Kool-Aid, I just wasn't willing to drown myself.

Advice to Management

Your people are the ones that got you here. I don't know whether or not it is your goal to keep them and just label them expendable, but sooner than later you will have nobody with experience. You are grinding your management into a pulp. I wouldn't have minded it, but make it a little less obvious. People might consider working for you then.

I attended a women's meeting a year ago and the presenter, who was from HR was asked the question of "Why do you think we can't retain people?" You guys/gals in Cleveland seem to have it all figured out. Figure this one out.