Shoe Carnival - Be careful | Glassdoor

"Be careful"

Current Employee - General Manager
Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company is growing rapidly, and there are lots of GM and SM positions available. After the GM level, you have no way of growing with the company unless the Regional "likes you"! Hard work and dedication is not rewarded, it’s who you know.

Cons

In order to move up, you must be a member of the "good old boys club"! It's NOT about how hard you work or even if you’re a great worker, it's about if the Regional "likes" you or not! The Regional Managers have way too much power and the Divisional Managers don't have the time or care about what the Regionals are doing. I have worked for this company for a long time and this opinion is also believed by MANY other managers. Regional Managers treat their management staff like crap! They don't care about your personal life it's all about Shoe Carnival only. The Regional managers also need to stop telling lies about your career growth.

Advice to Management

You need to have Regional Managers that CARE about the management team they lead. In order to spend some time away from work for family matters it takes an "act of congress" and you must answer a million questions first! The upper management team does not care about their people, it’s all about "what have you done for us mentality". If you take care of your people, they will take care of you! That’s management 101, and Shoe Carnival has never understood that!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Shoe Carnival

"Started out great, but slowly getting to be a bad company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

First off, let me say that I've been with this company for longer that most, so I have seen many changes over the years.

I know that it does vary between the different stores & regions

Our store has:
    Great atmosphere
    Great upper management
    Great selection of shoes, and has been getting even better the past few years
    Great new and trendy products
    Discounts, including Friends & Family isn't too shabby
    Our store has great flexibility in terms of scheduling and our staff
    Being a good worker does get noticed in our store
    RM and GM know their stuff
    Great music
    We have ways of finding most shoes that we carry
    Location in town
    Our management is pretty lenient (sometimes too lenient, but it works at our store)
    Overall great staff, past and present
    You can get your hours if you are a proven employee

Generally:
    Great place to work if you are part time
    Paid Time Off + birthday PTO + Christmas, Easter & Thanksgiving off
    Benefits are offered
    The rewards club actually isn't bad at all, especially that us employees can sign up for it now.
    Customers

Cons

The return policy is a joke. When did we become Kohls? Or why do we have a return policy?
    The Shoe Perks system is flawed (see below).
    Our store has an incompetent manager who thinks they know it all when in fact they shouldn't even have a job
    Raises get chopped once you hit the $10 per hour mark (as if the raise % is that great to begin with)
    I've seen at other Shoe Carnivals that not all employees know the entire store. Most stores aren't that large, so learning everything on the floor shouldn't be that hard.
    Lack of communication
    Promotions, and the rules for each position - why should a supervisor have to learn to run the mic? Their job is to supervise the associates.
    No more overtime!
    Short staffed 70% of the time
    CUSTOMERS - they aren't always right!
    Price of candy/pop. I don't even buy it there, even with my discount.
    Benefits aren't that great overall

Advice to Management

Shoe perks: We NEED a way to look up a customer does not have their card on them. EVERY other store with similar cards are eons ahead of us here.

More on the Shoe Perks: We NEED to send out complementary certificates just for being good customers. Every quarter or so, send out a $5 or $10 certificate that they could use on anything in stores. How often are you going to get those customers to only spend the $5 or $10, and nothing else?

Beef up the discount wheel. Why buy 3 pairs of shoes to only save $2?

The return policy needs a MAJOR overhaul! Why even post a policy in store when we now take EVERYTHING back with virtually no questions asked?

In terms of training new associates, the check off sheets of each task (for each position) needs to be updated severely!!! So many things have changed in learning to be a cashier or that no one knows what a blucher vs. bal oxford is anymore. Get these up to date!!

Managers and Floor Supervisors have to be relocatable now? Really? Where is your time with your family? I'm not gonna more for a job at the retail level!

We need to be a company going GREEN!! Sure, we recycle the cardboard, but we waste so much paper just with some of these reports or hourly numbers. We need to turn off the lights in the offices and restrooms or unused areas. Recycle employees plastic or aluminum. We also do sign changes too often - we need to recycle that paper.

My suggestion would be to have a touch screen computer at every mic stand. On it, we can make/view the schedule, break and aisle, customer special orders, etc. We can even have the break and aisle hourly numbers filled in on the hour, saving paper. We should also be able to view any reports and the store website from there instead of going all the way back to the office, making customers wait. All the info right at the center/front of the store.

We NEED to carry what customers are always looking for: Metal, long-handled shoe horns, tube socks, track spikes, golf shoes, different colored polishes, shoe shine brush (like the horse hair ones), girls high tops, wingtips

Don't ever open the stores on any of the 3 major holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas). New Year's Day is already a joke. At midnight for DAT, I'll agree with, but not during the Holiday. Family is still number one, and enough of that is already ripped away from us.

Give each store the opportunity to go out into the area and help push the company. Let us go hand out fliers with coupons.

Eliminate the ability for an employee to have a smoke break. Why should they get their 45 min break + a 15 minute break, and have the ability to also get a smoke break or 2? I don't smoke, yet I still lose out.

BOGO is far too often! We don't need to run it as often as we do to become successful. That's what the rotations and advertising is for. And we need BETTER rotations.

"Dead end job."

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

Pros

Fun atmosphere.
    Great learning environment
    Great management
    Customers.
    The management is fun and lets you have fun without being unprofessional. They train you by showing you. I have no problem talking openly with my managers and coworkers and consider most of them friends.

Cons

Theft is terrible (employees are not allowed to do anything.. Only loss prevention and management)
    Pay
    No room for growth
    Customers

I love working here, but after four years I feel like I am in the same place as when I started. I am a great employee (always showing up on time, going above and beyond my job) but you feel like you never get thanks. They promise full time and never give it.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more! Don't scrimp and save with your good employees. Don't make empty promises that you have no intention of keeping.