Shopko Stores - Home away from home and no life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shopko Stores

"Home away from home and no life"

Current Employee - Cashier in Union Gap, WA
Current Employee - Cashier in Union Gap, WA

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shopko is a clean, well run store. They have great prices, selections/ choices on clothing for the whole family and house. Shopko has great people working working for them, they just don't seem to last or remain happy for long.

Cons

Disrespect from management, rarely receiving praise, not getting any raises, promoting those that don't work for it, passing over those that do work hard for the promotions.

Other Employee Reviews for Shopko Stores

"Good overall experience."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Shopko Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They don't normally work you more than 50 hours per week salary

Cons

Not enough training hours for new employees.

2. "Not a very good first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and easy hiring process. It was a pretty decent environment, socially speaking. Management was actually pretty friendly.

Cons

Horrible hours (possibly because it was a seasonal position where they hired quite a few new people): My very first two weeks were actually the most I ever worked there-about 20 hours. After that, hours kept declining.

Business was going downhill (might be location dependent?): Apart from the occasional rush hour, business was pretty slow. Us employees ended up just standing there most of the time, waiting to reel in the next customer. A lot of friends who live in the area said they just don't shop there anymore.

Poor communication: After the holiday season ended, I noticed I had no hours scheduled the next two weeks. This had happened before so I wasn't too worried. I actually wasn't notified at all about how they weren't keeping me as a regular employee until I called my hiring manager, who was in charge of scheduling, where she then proceeded to check a list in order to see if I was still working. Shouldn't the manager know this kind of thing?

Too much hiring: As I said, I had horrible hours here. Even if that was just because of the seasonal hiring, they shouldn't have overcompensated on their employees. I actually felt bad that us new kids were screwing up the hours of the more experienced people while we were getting treated badly ourselves. No one came out on top.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good attitude and friendliness towards employees, but work on actually communicating with them on how they're doing within the company. Tell them their strengths and weaknesses to help them become a better worker. Get reasonable with hiring. Don't hire a whole bunch of new people when you don't have the customer base to do so and end up giving everyone, old and new, bad hours.