Shoppers Drug Mart - Beauty Advisor | Glassdoor

"Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Beauty Expert in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Beauty Expert in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing training within the brands and product knowledge.

Cons

Not enough hours to go around and that affects work as we are required to do more merchandising.

Other Employee Reviews for Shoppers Drug Mart

"More Concerned About Corporate Image, Not Talent"

Former Employee - Beauty Expert in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Beauty Expert in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great benefit plan.
    * Man free products given to staff within beauty BOUTIQUE.

Cons

* No budget for loss prevention agents; security and shoplifting prevention responsibility placed upon staff. Stressful, unsafe, and compromises customer service to legitimate customers

* Upper management and the corporation DO NOT CARE about the well-being, happiness, health, or safety of employees. Employees are DISPOSABLE, and management does NOT like to be called-out on their mistakes.

* Toxic work environment, riddled with egos, attitudes, and petty, high school gossip of many teenage girls in grown women's bodies.

* Working hard, putting one's heart and soul into work which one takes pride in (and receives multiple commendations for) means very little. Empty words of support from management. When push comes to shove, they and those above them DO NOT CARE.

* Little support or accountability from management and those above them. Scapegoating is prevalent.

Advice to Management

ALWAYS HAVE A BUDGET FOR LOSS PREVENTION, especially within beauty BOUTIQUES, where thousands of dollars of fragrances are being stolen, and ESPECIALLY if there is an obvious, ongoing problem (re: Chanel). Your Beauty Experts are not there to babysit your cosmetics department, play Keystone Cop, or should have to place themselves in harm's way because you're too cheap to protect your own property. Your Beauty Experts are there to sell, educate, consult, and provide excellent customer service to legitimate customers. There is NO REASON for staff to feel so stressed or fearful for their safety within the work environment.

Your Human Resources person is neither "human" nor "resourceful".

"I definitely developed a lot of customer service skills that helped me in my job since then."

Former Employee - Post Office Clerk in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Post Office Clerk in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was trained at a high but fair standard of customer service. My manager was very gracious about sick days or time taken off to visit family in BC as well.

Cons

It can get very busy at certain times and be very slow at others.