Shutterfly - Great people, too bad about the management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly

"Great people, too bad about the management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-located engineering, good salary, flexible schedule. The individuals in the trenches all seem very well intentioned and skilled. Some internal promising technology. Not much dead weight in the engineering team compared with outer large companies I've worked at.

Cons

Not a "get things done" culture- it mostly attribute this to a very conservative management stye. No risk taking, slow to adopt new ideas and new trends. Strategy consists of "more of the same". Some key executives are micromanagers. Too bad, some of the teams are very talented and could just "makes things happen" if not straddled with such a burdensome management culture.

Advice to Management

1) Look around at what the market is doing, not just what our current customer base does. 2) Meet less, do more. 3) Clean up the product, its all over the map. Customers notice-I hear it from my friends.

Other Employee Reviews for Shutterfly

1. "Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, and culture. You always get awarded for your hardwork

Cons

Its difficult to work other teams and no co-operation between

"Growing company with a great work environment that sells fun products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company successful, stock has doubled in last 12 months, growing quickly (recently acquired key competitors like Kodak Gallery, Tiny Prints and My Publisher)
    - Strong leadership team. CEO in particular is passionate about the company and has a strong vision
    - Great work environment. Smart, driven people who set aggressive goals and work hard to achieve them. At the same time, work/life balance is good. Very team-oriented (as opposed to cutthroat) and collaborative environment. People here are fun to work with.
    - Good opportunities for career growth. Since the company is growing and because there are multiple brands, there are opportunities to shift around and try different things or move to another brand.
    - Because we focus on photo-oriented products and are so consumer-oriented, work is way more fun (as opposed to selling widgets)
    - Compensation seems as good or better than comparable companies

Cons

- If you live in SF, like I do, the commute can be miserable

Advice to Management

- Organize shuttle service to and from the city, as more and more talent is choosing to live in the city and commute remotely (e.g., Google, Facebook, EA, etc.)