Sid Harvey Industries - Not a bad place to work, just boring. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Sid Harvey Industries

"Not a bad place to work, just boring."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

Pros

Private company, no other outstanding reasons.

Cons

Sr. management slow to respond to branch needs.

Advice to Management

Hire sales oriented branch managers or train them to be more customer focused.

Other Employee Reviews for Sid Harvey Industries

1. "A real perspective from a Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One thing I've learned and witnessed in my decade plus here is you really reap what you sow. I've seen people come and go, I've hired and fired, I've had people give me their 2 weeks and when I look back on it all... everyone I've seen go , they are gone for the better of the company. From personal experience I can tell you, this company holds on to people who they see potential or are valuable.

This company gives the Branch Managers freedom and stands behind them. The Branch Manager is responsible for ALL branch activities (Sales, operations...). You can't be sitting back waiting for the phone to ring or someone to spoon feed you business. Sure, some people aren't cut out for that responsibility, those that are, are successful here.

Help and support is only a phone call away. You have to ask for it though. Put the corporate office to work for you. The place has been in business for 80+ years for a reason.

If you do grow your branches business and increase profits the compensation can be more than generous.

As a Branch Manager you have complete control over who works for you. Hiring, retention, it's all up to your discretion. It's great to put together a team and work with people you enjoy working with everyday.

Sid Harvey's gives you a kitchen and all the ingredients. It's up to you to cook. It's up you to clean the kitchen. If the kitchen needs a renovation, bring it up to management and it will be renovated.

Cons

The hardest thing to do in this company is to rise above Branch Manager to Territory Manager or Regional Manager. A few of the Regional Managers are long time employees (former Branch Managers) who earned their positions years ago. It seems like once you get to that level you are untouchable, a made man. You can ride out an earlier success even though you might be a failure in the present day.

Advice to Management

Have an annual Managers meeting. Have the more experienced interact more with the junior guys.

2. "designer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

zero pros for this company. a horrible, stagnant place i am surprised that is still in existance

Cons

close minded structure, staff and management.
    i called the king of prussia store about 3 weeks ago to inquire about a part. I spoke with Dominic who was very helpful providing me with a price and a stock check. the other day i visited the store to purchase the part and was told by the counter clerk that their policy is to only sell to contractors since they cannot trust the public's credit card will be good and they only take cash. the clerk proceeded to tell me that they are somewhat afraid that if the public purchases an item they will leave the store and cancel the charge on their credit card. i told the clerk that i never heard of such a policy and that i have seen the same part for allot less on a few e commerce store sites as well as other local stores but always like to try to use local establishments. well guess what sid harvey. i will be informing the many people as well as contractors i know not to patronize your store. this is probably your sales have been stagnant and no future growth. with a policy like that it is shocking you are still in business. probably just a matter of time.

Advice to Management

wake up.