Siemens - Great company to work for, if you do not work for the North Florida locations | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Siemens

"Great company to work for, if you do not work for the North Florida locations"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Project Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Siemens Bdg. Technologies, formerly Landis & Staefa, formerly Landis & Gyr, formerly MCC Powers, is a great company and they make great products. They also offer excellent training and documentation. The corporate management does a lot to try to be a great company.

Cons

The local Florida offices are a joke. They only care about the bottom line, not the employees, many of whom do not even have a college degree. If you are in good with the managers, you have it made. If you work at a satellite office, you are in for a lot of grief, unless all your jobs end with a 35-40% gross profit margin. The FL office managers do not care about the employees or their needs, whether you have training or not, whether you are happy or not, whether your job conditions are safe or not. They don't really care whether the customers are happy or whether the jobs are installed properly, or even meet NEC codes. If you can cut corners and get away with it you are rewarded.
Also, you will be more successful if you play golf well, as the managers like to leave the office for hours at a time and go play golf rather than manage their offices.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer service and quality. Go back and rehire some of the folks you burned in the past who did a great job, but you treated them like dirt. They were the ones who made your customers happy. If you want to spend all your time at the golf course, make sure there are others who can make important decisions in your absence.

Other Employee Reviews for Siemens

1. "Complete change of responsibility with a change of managers"

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My first manager was awesome who defined my role completely and for whom I performed well. My manager had all the qualities you look for in a leader: patient, organized, and excellent communication skills. He expected a lot out of me and taught me to expect more of myself.

Cons

My second manager was a total crack and assumed I performed the role I was assigned to plus the role of the level above me and offered no training to performed those duties. I was put on evaluation and I was being evaluated at the level above my position as defined by my previous manager. It was assigned that I had to explain variances that were never explained by those at the level above me and I really had no one to turn to. At that point, I realized this manager was the exact opposite of the previous manager and I had no desire to work for them.

Advice to Management

Allow employees an opportunity to evaluate their managers and give it more weight. Since I've been away, I've learned the skills I would have needed to keep my job. I have been in touch with my previous coworkers and the variances that they were seeking to explain still exist. I would share my knowledge, but it gives me satisfaction to think my last manager is still struggling.

2. "Great Job with good peer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, TX

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment and time off

Cons

Got laid off due to lack of work