Siemens - SAP Systems Architect | Glassdoor

"SAP Systems Architect"

Current Employee - SAP Systems Architect in North Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - SAP Systems Architect in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) great benefits (100% match on 401k up to 6%)
2) great work&life balance (able to telecommute 2 days a week)
3) typical 9-5 IT support job with minor overtime required
4) annual performance bonus
5) I had a great manager, probably best one I had in my entire IT career (12+ years) but again, it depends a lot on where you end up

Cons

1) no defined career paths
2) everything is based on seniority and who you know- most of people have been here for 10+ years; will not leave unless laid off or retired
3) no training whatsoever. my last product specific training class was 4 years
4) salary increases limited to 2-3% annual increases; you will never be paid market rate if you already with low salary. Two of my managers recommended leaving and doing consulting for couple years and then coming back at 15-20% higher salary
5) Given that Siemens is a manufacturing company, IT is always viewed as expense by business community, not someone delivering value to company
6) As a result of point 5, constant budget cutbacks even when overall economy and Siemens are doing well

Advice to Management

make an effort to keep your best talented employee by rewarding them accordingly rather than sticking to seniority model. Eventually the older generation will retire and there is no young talent behind them. Most of the younger folks leave to do consulting in their 20's or 30's

Other Employee Reviews for Siemens

1. "Room for growth but Frustrating managment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee of 6 years, I've seen my share of turn over in my department (Service/Sales) so this has allowed me to "climb" the ranks fairly quickly. New opportunities are always presenting themselves to me and I've worked several different type of job responsibilities allowing me to feel challenged at work. The benefits are great for a single working professional (with no children) and the pay is decent. Our facility was just revamped with new cubes and new furniture. Our activities committee puts on a employee centered event almost every season to keep moral up.

Cons

Turn over in Management is just as frequent as it is in the sales/service. Most of the time management is not aware or not familiar common business practices and that makes it more difficult as a rep because most of the time you explaining yourself rather than doing your job. Most of the issues I've noticed is supervisors not working well with their employees. They are not willing to listen and encourage new ideas which is frustrating. The most frustrating issue I've seems to the push and pull between local branches and the call center. There is a constant butting of heads and management (on both sides) don't understand how to fix or keep the peace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your admins, sales reps, and service reps; they are the ones visiting with the customer, taking the calls, and run the ship. Allow them some more leeway and input. You might be surprised what they could do. Let up on the reins a bit and trust your employees to succeed.

2. "Siemens"

Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady, no real layoff's or restructuring, growth in company

Cons

Lack of professional development, flat corp. structure limits career advancement opportunities without relocation