Siemens - Not the type of company I want to be a part of | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Siemens

"Not the type of company I want to be a part of"

Former Employee - Leadership Development Participant
Former Employee - Leadership Development Participant

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay and Benefits
Value Knowledge
Work with a lot of smart engineers

Cons

What came across to me most was a "if you can't make it, fake it" culture. You were given numbers you were expected to hit and even management would tell you that if the team couldn't hit the numbers (because they were often a bad standard made by people who didn't understand the process) then you needed to find a way to make it look like you did.

In my opinion they also came across has having 0 loyalty. I was in a program for up and coming leaders that they spent quite a bit of money on. I left because after going on unnecessary company trips and outings we would go back to facilities and watch people get laid off. I knew that if that was what they were teaching upcoming management was ok in their company - I wanted nothing to do with it.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging the individual contributors by making decisions on their numbers from a different country - or if you do, listen to reason when they tell you its not possible. You are only hurting yourself but creating a culture where it is better that they lie to you about the numbers. Can't figure out why your savings never seem to match the numbers your teams are reporting? That's why!

Other Employee Reviews for Siemens

1. "Micro-management and German hierarchy"

Current Employee - Business Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you get a hang of going around the rules, Siemens can be a great company to work for. But to get that far, you need to have started in Germany or another country. Once you are part of an inner circle, you can have an easy political career.

Cons

The germans love rules and make more of them everyday, and we Americans are too obsessed with following every rule, and miss out on seeing the bigger picture. The US Energy organization is micro-managed and performance is rarely rewarded. A number of smart people are leaving, but that has not affected the management's ways of doing things. Towing the political line is rewarded, the business success is only secondary.

Advice to Management

Please ask yourselves - is Siemens an Oil and Gas solutions player? If so, start behaving like GE, ABB, Cameron. If not, please focus only on selling products (Gas turbines) imported from Germany/UK. Also, please treat employees with respect. Good people who work at Siemens can any time get hired by a competitor for a whole lot more.

"Research and Development intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Siemens as an intern

Pros

Multiculture workspace, friendly and enthusiastic people. Very nice supervisor, very nice work and life balance.

Cons

A little bit tedious, but if you are quiet into research, this is the choice for you.