Siemens - Loved it! | Glassdoor

"Loved it!"

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Siemens as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for, great pay for interns and definitely an environment that focused on expanding our knowledge of engineering.

Cons

Not a lot of cons! Great people to work for.

Other Employee Reviews for Siemens

"Fair company. Good for young low level career, middle and senior level career average."

Current Employee - Field Services in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Field Services in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Siemens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Negotiate hard coming in because what you get is what you get...with a minor COLA every year. If you are a younger applicant just starting your career then it is an excellent move. As far as other companies in the sector and geographic location (DC/Baltimore metro) it is above average for pay but still below union scale.

Cons

I.T. is horrible. Your computer/laptop is a detriment to production and is one step above a boat anchor. At time of this posting (September 22nd 2013) still using XP as the operating system. 30 minute boot times are not uncommon when connected to corporate network. I hate my company issued vehicle. It is not practical for the work I perform.

Advice to Management

Consolidate consolidate consolidate. In Beltsville Maryland there is an office full of people, if we really need that much overhead and management then there is an issue. Hopefully new CEO realizes no future in highly fragmented system. If your field service people spend a majority of time in their vehicle, some form of comfort should come into the equation. Then again the hardest seats on an airline I've ever experienced is Lufthansa. Maybe it's a German thing? Also Joe Kaeser is Chief Executive Officer, Siemens AG, Munich since August 1, 2013 anyone giving the former CEO a thumbs up should be questioned. Glassdoor needs to update this selection as my option is choosing a thumbs up or thumbs down for the past CEO.

2. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Siemens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Siemens Railway Automation is a low stress place to work. The group is young and motivated. The management is motivated to use good testing practices and agile development methods. The software team is supported by German Engineers and very senior engineers as well as other PHDs across multiple disciplines with excellent domain knowledge and experience. Once you are in Siemens you will never lose your job. They will almost always find a place for you and your skillset.
    At Christmass, you are given an 8-10 business day vacation.

Siemens looks great on your resume. Especially if you would like to move to healthcare or finance to make bigger money.

Cons

The pay is very low for Senior Engineers. The pay is rather high for Junior Engineers.
     And if you do not have a manager working for you, you will remain at a very low salary until you leave the company.

Advice to Management

Try to increase the pay scale. Make the work more about being an engineer and less about being a part of the group.