Sierra Club - Great experience! | Glassdoor

"Great experience!"

Former Employee - Apprentice in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Apprentice in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sierra Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I completed the apprenticeship program for recent college grads. It was great hands-on training and I was able to play an important role in my department. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and I learned so much!

Cons

At the time I was there, there were very few openings for program assistant (post-apprenticeship entry-level) positions, so I had to find work elsewhere after my apprenticeship term ended.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more ethnic and racial diversity in Sierra Club staffing.

Other Employee Reviews for Sierra Club

1. "It was valuable experience, but the disorganized nature of non-profit work is sometimes frustrating."

Former Employee - Organizing Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Organizing Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

Work for a good cause that you feel good about,
    Fun, diverse people,
    Flexible hours,
    The work is interesting, challenging, and never gets monotonous.

Cons

Disorganization,
    Large discrepancy between the top employees and the bottom employees,
    Low pay,
    Few benefits,
    Opportunities for advancement are limited.

Advice to Management

Work on organization, and transparency of communication.

"Great mission, great people, improving strategy."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great Mission:
    Hands down, the best thing about working for the Sierra Club is that you're proud of the mission. Almost all of the employees are working there for the right reasons, and that makes for a great day-to-day work life. A lot expected of employees, but you're only asked to work a hard 40hrs/wk. After that, the expectation is that you're out of the office enjoying your free time.

Ability to Make a Difference:
    The Club is America's oldest and largest environmental organization. If you want to be a player in the environmental movement, this is a great place to be.

Management Heading in Right Direction:
    The senior management is much more employee-friendly since a leadership change in 2009. I've worked at the Club since 2007, and it's a noticeable shift towards transparency, efficiency, and collegiality.

Cons

The Club's size--550 employees and growing to over 700 by 2013--can be difficult to navigate. There are inevitable bureaucracy and communications issues. In particular circumstances, this can be incredibly frustrating. However, as mentioned above, senior managers seem very intent on addressing these issues.

Due to the Sierra Club's historic role as a catch-all environmental organization, the Club can spread itself too thin while trying to address every issue under the sun. This can lead to issues when staff are unclear about their priorities ("wait, which issue gets my precious time?"). Again, in recent years this focus has improved significantly, but there's still work to be done here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! There have been significant strides in efficiency, morale, and focus.