Sigma-Aldrich - It was a better company a few years ago | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sigma-Aldrich

"It was a better company a few years ago"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good benefits- 401K with 6% match, pension, tuition reimbursement
- Flexible schedules to managed the work/life balance
- Good People
- Large company so several career opportunities

Cons

- A lot of upper management changes within the last few years have caused some uncertainities with employees
- Management does not provide enough direction towards our future which leads to frustrations
- Very conservative company (which may be a good thing in this economy), but employees do not get compensated for their value

Advice to Management

Perform a 360 review of your management team for a reality check and where improvements could be made.

Other Employee Reviews for Sigma-Aldrich

1. "Still a chemical company, not totally fit into biotech yet"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simliar to other big biotech companies, good reputation in products

Cons

Too much OEM, has less control on the quality of products purchased via OEM. Slow response to the market, weak marketing and sales.

Advice to Management

Need to be shaper for decision making

"A Current Review of Sigma/SAFC"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are no too bad.
    The company does have a pension plan which is unusual these days.
    Rarely has layoffs, until recently. There are trade offs for, see below
    Work is cake. You make the trade for pay and advancement in this category. I forgot what real stress is like...everyday is the same.

Cons

This company is extremely fractured...it is hard to explain unless you work there. Each location is like a separate company. The biggest to note is that there are two divison there is the Sigma (old school research, selling to universities and the like) and SAFC that is the custom business that sells to big Pharma; think APIs and chemicals/media. These business models clash constantly. You have one group that want to put something in the big red book (catalog) and the other side focuses on big customer and ignores the little guy. I am on the SAFC side....This where most of the money will be made going forward. Customization is the wave of the future...let VWR support the universities.

Realities:

Raises are very small for most people, there are exceptions. There are no bonuses for the rank and file. Managers will get bonuses and stock options. Is it is what is.

Company is struggling to integrate acquisitions (JRH/Bioreliance...poor Research Organics you are next.) I can not speak to how other companies handle this process, but at times it is just agony.

Technology is a daily painful mountain climb. From Lotus Notes (Yes they still use this system from years past). Try making the change from MS Outlook to Lotus notes...you will not believe that someone could sell it to you with a straight face and when you turn it on, you will be looking for Marty McFly, because you will think you went back in time. To enterprise systems that do not talk between sites and between continents. The answer to everything is the spreadsheet. Because, I can not see what you can see...you send me spreadsheet so we can be on the same page. Their IT systems are just so antiquated it is difficult to describe and from most people it is a daily struggle. I am still using an IBM box with Office 2003 and XP. Document management is usually hard copies, the electronic document that are full speed ahead on seems like something that would have replaced a card catalog from your library ten years again (Anyone heard of SharePoint?)

Cost savings plans hurt the future. Companies should always made cost cuttings decisions...that is just good business sense. But, when you plan for the future and cut too deep and always look for the least expensive route; you get what you pay for. This is a reality you must accept when working at this company....it not your manager's fault and it is not his boss either, it is ingrained in the culture.

Advice to Management

We honestly could have less staff if we had better systems in place. Just support software and processes that no one else uses any more could save $$$.