Sikich - Growing, mid-size accounting firm | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sikich

"Growing, mid-size accounting firm"

I have been working at Sikich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The work is engaging and you feel like you make a big impact on your projects. The work never gets boring because you're working on a new project every couple of weeks.
-The business culture is professional, but fairly relaxed. You're expected to work hard, but people are friendly and cooperative. Even the partners are approachable.
-I feel like there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. At my office, I've had plenty of opportunities to work on taxes, government audits, for-profit audits, and non-profit audits. Plus, promotions happen fairly quickly (every 2-3 years on average).
-You're given a fair amount of independence when you work. Granted, a boss will review your work when it's done, but you don't have someone looking over your shoulder while you are working.
-For an accounting firm, it has a great work/life balance. I feel that 90% of the time I am putting in only 40-50 hours a week. This might get higher as you rise through the ranks.
-There is some travel involved (maybe 10% of your time), both to work for clients and to attend trainings. I feel that this amount is enough to keep things interesting, but not so much that it overwhelms you.
-By working here, you're able to gain several connections with other small businesses. It's interesting to see how different businesses operate. Plus, these connections can lead to good job offers down the road.
-Although the Company is starting to get fairly large, each office maintains a fair amount of independence. This results in the Company having the resources of a large company while continuing to have a small-business atmosphere.
-Most positions are filled from within.
-There is a great sense of job security. I don't think the firm has ever laid off an employee due to hard economic times. So as long as you come to work and have the right attitude, you're job is pretty safe.
-I feel that the pay is fair and that raises are pretty good. The firm has a nice vacation policy (start with 15 days; then 20 after 5 years; and 25 after 10 years).

Cons

-The health benefits are pretty expensive. Monthly premiums for singles isn't too bad, but once you add your family, it jumps pretty high (about $600). The annual deductible is also pretty high ($2,500 single; $5,000 family). The Company does offset some of these costs by contributing some money ($50 single/ $100 family)each month to your Health Savings Account.
-The 401k match is pretty low. The Company matches 50% of your contributions, up to 2% of your salary. I think most other companies offer a match around 5%.
-When you work on multiple jobs at once, it can feel like you have multiple bosses.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep doing what you're doing. I really enjoy what I do each day, the work atmosphere, the work-life balance, the opportunities available, the vacation, etc. I feel that Sikich provides its employees with valuable experience and engaging activities. I also feel that management cares about the employees and values their efforts.

My only complaint is that, for a mid-size company, the benefits are sub-par. Consider lowering the monthly premiums for families and raising the 401k match.

Also, get rid of SurePrep (tax workpaper software). The length of time it takes to bookmark all the tax workpapers is not worth it.

Other Employee Reviews for Sikich

"Varies by department"

I have been working at Sikich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth
    Casual environment for professional services
    Advancement possibilities
    Solid people
    Friendly CEO
    Flexible time/commuting options depending on manager

Cons

Really interesting to contrast my experience with the one below. I think the experience varies from department to department. As someone who is not in a consulting/client service role, I have been fairly unhappy here. My department is overworked, undervalued, and understaffed.

Health insurance premiums have jumped (it's more like $800/month if you have a family + 5000 deductible.). Lots of partners means lots of egos and many different interests being served. I've also noted several clear incidents of sexism (e.g. comments, pay discrepancies). Pay is on the lower side and benefits keep declining. There is not a unified feel throughout the company and its offices.

Advice to Management

Communicate better, grow culture and unified identity to match company growth

2. "Tax department"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very poor feedback. Unorganized at times.

Advice to Management

Give your employees better feedback.