Silicon Valley Bank - Great bank, subpar middle management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

"Great bank, subpar middle management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Get to work with great clients
- Great camaraderie with fellow co workers
- Good benefits
- Pay is competitive

Cons

- Middle management is ineffective
- Lack of strategic direction for non lending units
- Does not pay attention to career growth

Advice to Management

Do something of the ineffective middle management

Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

"SVB is like family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started as a contractor and was able to land a full time job. Throughout the years I was able to work my way up and be asked to relocate to the Tempe office and be a part of mgmt. I feel so honored to be working for such a great company. I see myself retiring from SVB as they have been on an upswing and growing with so many opportunities.

Cons

We are still learning to grow as a company yet keep that small company feel. Its a good thing but sometimes I wonder if they are biting more than they can handle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work as I trust and cherish their leadership.

"Great place to learn, bad place to stay."

Former Employee - Mid Level to Senior Management in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Mid Level to Senior Management in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If your interest is the technology, life science and venture capital space, you can learn a lot here and gain great exposure to these sectors. Ability to learn an interact generally and specifically with these sectors is reason enough to work here. The bank has build up a tremendous amount of traction over the last 20 years, working here opens a lot of doors in these sectors. If you come here to be a 'banker', realize this is not a typical bank in a lot of ways. Their 'Guiding Principles' are a great thing to emulate anywhere you work, they focus on honesty, integrity, ethics, focus on the client.

Cons

For a long time I felt SVB was a meritocracy. The group you are in may be very siloed from other groups, but you can distinguish yourself with hard work and a little luck. I got to understand early that certain groups and individuals would be waiting for you to trip up, (and seeing how they could help make that so) but if you don't trip up, you would succeed. It's a bet I think many others would be willing to take.

Having decompressed from the culture for a few years I learned two things:
    1) having to watch your back is not a normal work environment...it's just not
    2) SVB wasn't large enough to be so siloed, that was just a consequence of the culture. Functional groups can actually work together willingly and collaboratively. They should.

I can only speak definitively to culture created by Greg Becker and his steering committee, but the meritocracy thing definitively and permanently ends once you are in the top 5-10% of the bank. At that point, up is down, black is white and personal politics drive a remarkable amount of strategy. HR is the executor of senior management's will, and great lengths will be taken to achieve that will.

Lastly, you will not find this a place where speaking up is terribly encouraged. Vision comes from on high and nowhere else. Very different from even 5 years ago. Those who don't buy in or feel compelled to question, they do so at their peril.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge to current employees that SVB's internally vaunted Guiding Principles have not applied to current management except when convenient. This is staff's perception today. It would benefit the bank long term to:
    1) Work to elevate people who have actually emulated those principles,
    2) Jettison those who have risen with behavior antithetic to those principles. There is no mistaking who these people are, and their rank within SVB causes a lot of cognitive dissonance when employees go back and read the aforementioned Principles.