Silicon Valley Bank - SVB IT department is a pool of distrust, dishonesty and disingenuity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

"SVB IT department is a pool of distrust, dishonesty and disingenuity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SVB is a great place to work, as long as you're not currently working in IT or Global Services.

Cons

I've been with SVB for just over 10 years in the IT dept playing several different roles both as an individual contributor and multiple levels of management. I have been through many CIO's in my time here, good and bad, and I have to say the current CIO is the worst one SVB has every had. First off let me say SVB is a great place with great people and a fantastic culture unfortunately, the IT dept has now devolved into a cess pool of distrust, dishonesty and disingenuity. Management at all levels tell one story to their teams and individual contributors while telling a different story among themselves. Everyone, individual contributors and management, are scared to speak up or voice their opinions as they have seen good people get fired for doing the same. The offices the once used to be vibrant and outgoing are now quiet and introverted. No one speaks unless spoken too and people rarely leave their seats or offices to mingle and interact. It's now like working in a morgue and everyone is just waiting for the next dead body to appear.

The CIO has a great vision in her One IT culture but unfortunately she is not able to execute on it. She is never in IT leading them but instead chooses to be in the business informing them how IT has failed and how she is going to make it better. She is unable to make a decision and stick to it and constantly changes her mind depending on who she is talking to and what time of day it is. She dissolves and fires any competition to her ideas and gives more responsibility to under performing teams on false promises. SVB IT was once a functioning department, not perfect but I think anyone would be hard pressed to find an IT Dept that is 100% perfect.

Advice to Management

I used to tell people I was extremely proud to be part of SVB IT, now I'm embarrassed to tell people let alone interview new people to come on board. The CIO needs to get her head out of the business and start leading her own Dept instead of leaving it to her hired hands. Showing up to IT Mgmt meetings and allowing a Q&A session after her VERY scarce IT All Hands would be a great start.

Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

"Recall the CIO!"

Former Employee - Applications Support
    Former Employee - Applications Support

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

SVB has great product, most innovative debt financing portfolios, and has a lot do focus on pay for performance.

Cons

The CIO is able to say all the Buzz words (culture, transformation, game changing) without any substances or depth. If you are looking for a broken recorder than repeats what's wrong but doesn't have strategy nor ability to rally the team to fix them, you got the right lady. IT spending is at all time high, so much money wasted with no result. Surprisingly I year after being part of IT, she can still talk about IT issues as if she is an outsider. Absolutely no demonstration of ownership nor accountability.

Advice to Management

If you don't want SVB drags down by her like California did during Arnols S' regime, it is not too late to recall.

2. "Great company to work for."

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong, collaborative/team oriented culture; management has good strategic focus/objectives; strong benefit package; ability to move around to different roles internally; work/life balance

Cons

Visibility around employee compensation relative to competitors; can be overly slow to make big decisions; minor growing pains (real estate challenges, hiring strategy) as bank continues to rapidly scale

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, proactively take care of "best people" through empowerment, compensation and attention from highest levels in organization.