Simon Property Group - Would have loved my job if I had different bosses | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Simon Property Group

"Would have loved my job if I had different bosses"

Former Employee - Guest Services Manager
Former Employee - Guest Services Manager

Pros

Very comfortable with type of work asked to do, compared to other retail management positions the work schedule is VERY flexible with most weekends off, fun events and kids shows which we staffed, opportunity to network with other companies via solicitation of corporate giftcard orders.

Cons

Both of my bosses seemed to be completely incapable of doing their jobs. Over and over they would do the same thing expecting to get a different result, then be confused when our sales continued to tank. Any ideas thrown around the office were ignored simply because someone other than them had thought of it. On top of that my direct supervisor had a nasty habit of talking down to everyone else in the office AND changing her mind like the wind when planning events. It made for a rather painful work environment with near zero office moral. In the end our sales were so poor that they closed the Guest Services department and I was laid off along with all of my employees. And they did this one week after Christmas.

Advice to Management

With a company this large it's hard to get a true picture of what is happen at each property. But somehow that is exactly what needs to be looked at. Poor management on property is not uncommon according to not only myself, but also the majority of my contacts at other properties.

Other Employee Reviews for Simon Property Group

"Location Means Alot"

Former Employee - Office Administrator
    Former Employee - Office Administrator

Pros

Nice company to work for and great benefits. Promoting from within is strongly encouraged and with the right manager, a person can go far within the organization.

Cons

Often managers are promoted who are not experienced. Generally, its best if you work in the regional office or home office.

"Horrible Horrible Horrible"

Pros

Convenient for shopping; able to participate in cool events; no shortage of responsibility given to each employee; good for networking with outside agencies;

Cons

The amount of stress and work in comparison to the pay is awful. They will work you to the bone with no regard for a personal life. I did most of my supervisors work in addition to my own while she took credit for all of it. They love their policies! Most of which are ridiculous, misunderstood, and improperly implemented. The policies are strictly enforced regardless of functionality and no accommodations are ever allowed regardless of situation. Employees live in constant fear and are never given any praise. The moral amongst mall employees is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

#1 most important thing Upper Level Indy Management could do is pay attention to what the management in the malls is doing. Many of them are corrupt, many are doing nothing at all, and all of them I've encountered are just shooting from the hip.