Singapore Airlines - Don't waste your time, this company is anything but great... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Singapore Airlines

"Don't waste your time, this company is anything but great..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people would say that flight benefits would be the biggest "pro" in the aviation industry. However, because I worked in the Houston office, our manager specifically said that we could not fly on any other carrier, in other words he wouldn't approve a letter for his employees to fly United, for example.

The "1 free ticket" a year is terrible. It's stand-by only and NEVER upgrade-able. If economy is completely booked and you are a staff trying to get on, even if there are business seats available...they will not let you on.

In other words, SIA is a TERRIBLE company, and there aren't any pros to this job what-so-ever.

Cons

I think there are too many to list.

The management is the worse part of this company. They have super smart guys that they stick all over the world for only a 2-3 year increment in order to control their relationships and management styles.

The main issue, is the amount of controlling that comes with this company. It is very discriminating to women, and even have different prices for your "1 free ticket" based on if you are a male or female.

The pay is AWFUL, they promise great bonuses at the end of each year, and yes, you do get a bonus...if the airline is making money, and at your manager's discretion.

I remember reading all of the reviews before taking the job in Houston and thinking, each company has it's faults...take my advice, don't take the job and save yourself so much time, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit paying for every Singaporean Man to get their education in order to have an "indentured servant" that you can control for the next ten years, and focus on hiring managers who really know what they are doing, especially in the sales office.

Other Employee Reviews for Singapore Airlines

1. "Executive"

Former Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Processes are structured and clear. Your role is clearly defined and almost no ambiguity. Good brand for your resume.

Cons

Not much cons to be honest except that salary can be better. Company traditions will remain but all in all, it's a great company.

2. "Cabin crew"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Singapore Airlines as a contractor

Pros

You get to explore new destinations, ample of time to spend at layovers and good amount of rest provided after flights.

Cons

Ineffective promotional methods and Lack of crew concern.