Six Flags - Not bad, but not a career place | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Six Flags

"Not bad, but not a career place"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Vallejo, CA
Current Employee - Security Guard in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Decent scheduling for school.

Cons

Demanding and worked really hard in the summer. No room for much advanacement. Dont stick around this place

Other Employee Reviews for Six Flags

"Not the Best Career Move"

I worked at Six Flags full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a theme park, free admission to all Six Flags properties, unique opportunities that you will not get at other places of employment, every day is not the same as in any guest service position.

Cons

Where do I begin. It is next to impossible to make a career out of Six Flags.

You have a Full Time salaried staff that work in the back offices. The you have your "seasonal leadership." I put seasonal in quotations, because it is not seasonal. Most of the "management/supervisors" of the park are labeled seasonal even though they work 11-12 months out of the year. Seasonal leadership also for the most part works 45+ hours a week. But here is the kicker. . .the seasonal leadership is labeled "Seasonal" so somehow Six Flags is exempt from paying them overtime or offering them benefits. These are not contract employees, they work year round. Six Flags makes these "seasonal" employees process out in November or December, then the re-process them back in after the first of the year. It is also very hard to make it from Seasonal into a salaried role. It's liking trying to be drafted up from the minor leagues.

For the front line staff members, they all start at minimum wage. Before the staff even gets a paycheck, Six Flags forces them to buy a uniform that costs around $40. If you do not have the $40 that day, the make you sign a promissory note stating that you will repay. They used to draft the amount our of your paycheck, but that takes the wages below minimum wage. So in the end, a young worker ends up spending their whole first day of work paying for a company issued uniform. If you happen to be in a water park area, your uniform will cost close to $100.

The turn over rate at the parks for seasonal employment is extremely high. With low wages, below average training, and little chance for advancement the parks cannot attract or retain great talent.

Advice to Management

I know that Six Flags has done well making the investors happy of late. Management is adding new capital to the parks every year. I would say that you need to learn how to value your employees, treat them with respect, and create an environment where people want to grow with the company. Right now there are too many people that are too comfortable with the status quo. There is no employee culture at the parks, the seasonal employment is a constant revolving door. You should look at other leaders in the industry on how they create an environment that attracts top talent.

Given the environment, Six Flags parks should be striving to be one of the Best Places To Work in every location. Due to the compensation, work conditions, etc. it is not exactly on anyone's radar as a top place to work.

2. "Bugs Bunny"

I worked at Six Flags (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to be outside. Concern for my health.

Cons

Dirty behind the scenes area.