Slalom Consulting - Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting

"Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
 - Flexible Career Model
 - Great Social Events
 - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
 - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

Cons

Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
 - PTO is Average
 - 401k Match is Average
 - Training Budgets are Average

Advice to Management

I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
 - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
 - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
 - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

Other Employee Reviews for Slalom Consulting

1. "Very positive and easy experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

The placers at slalom, xversity, or 2 degrees are excellent at what they do. They are very informative and make the experince very enjoyable.

Cons

The only con that i could think of is for people with less experience just entering into the work force could use some better options.

Advice to Management

I think they could create another division for people that are just getting out of college looking for jobs.

"Body shop with little concern for quality overly focused on staffing any role with no internal career path"

Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Some variety in the work
    - Network development

Cons

- Lack of substance on being "consultant focused"
    - Managers are time approvers and focused on filling staffing opps, little more
    - Poor career path or advancement opportunities. The overly hyped "Career Development Framework" is poorly supported and barely used
    - Installed base of leadership are a clique
    - Work/life balance is a joke
    - Totally reliant on a small group of big clients - be prepared for "wash, rinse, repeat" from engagement to engagement
    - PTO is poor - leaders are always "looking at it" and never doing anything about it
    - No tolerance for differing points of view or those who don't drink the leadership kool aid - assimilate or leave
    - Shark tank attitude between incompetent sales team and customer account mgrs to land any role and get a warm body on it
    - They market the life out of the "best place to work" surveys that aren't really credible
    - Absence of "straight talk" internally, typical Seattle "fake nice"
    - Obsession with national growth and driving revenue for the owner with little opportunity for others to share in the success or maturing Slalom's practices
    - Slalom's spin on non-profit "contributions" are limited to employees doing things on their own time with no real investment from Slalom

Advice to Management

Slalom needs to stop pretending it's something that it's not. Management needs to back-up their words with tangible actions.