Sleep Number Corporation - Great Job. Just wasn't for me. | Glassdoor

"Great Job. Just wasn't for me."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Product. Love the customers. Easy work. Great company overall with opportunity for growth if you are willing to master corporate speak. The money is great if you can sell.

Cons

Way too many hours. Zero Work/Life Balance. You are supposed to get 2 days off but that does not happen if your store is behind, there is a meeting, you are on the event team, etc. I received my days off probably once a month. Be prepare to write up your team for having a bad month. They may be stellar employees but everyone is being written up. It's demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Hire from within more than you do. All of the store managers that were hired from the outside while I was there could not perform. If they can't skill practice the SBN...who's training their team?

Sleep Number Corporation2019-02-11
  1. "The Place I Wanted to Build a Career at"

Former Contractor - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation for less than a year

Pros

-Sharp managers that were not afraid to ask individual contributors for insights -Most managers I worked with separated talent from pure experience. I was able to thrive there and have a positive impact, despite being straight out of college -Process and continuous improvement was given high priority, at least in my department -Conscious appreciation for work life balance -If you work at Headquarters, you'll probably meet Shelly Ibach. I met her twice

Cons

-HR has the ability to override senior managers regarding employment decisions. My contract abruptly ended due to 'cost savings' despite my position saving the company more money than I was earning over 10 fold.

Advice to Management

On a macro scale, hold course. The solutions we put in place by Q1 2018 are obviously working and Sleep Number is doing a lot better than Q2 2017. You're doing a great job and are generally wonderful. On a micro scale, do everything in your power to retain the great talents who want to join management. If everybody who works with a person is saying they're an asset, that's exactly what they are. HR has a role that involves listening to what their co-workers tell them, yet they consciously stay deaf.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-08-01

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very lucrative pay, when business is good. Excellent ongoing training and refocus on company priorities. My supervisor was great always allowed me to run my own business within company struture allowing me to be successful. Great product lineup, excellent quality.

Cons

Computer system is slow and selling process takes a long time to complete, then asking customer to stay additional time to set up Sleep IQ and Innercircle is frustrating for customer that just wants to get out of the store.

Advice to Management

Upgrade computers, kept hearing this would happen over the years but never did. State of the art beds being sold on 1990's computers.

Sleep Number Corporation2020-01-06

Discover more reviews about Sleep Number Corporation.