Sleep Number Corporation - Sleep Number Cares! | Glassdoor

"Sleep Number Cares!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Holyoke, MA

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sleep Number cares so much about the wellbeing of employees and customers. I believe in our product which delivers proven quality sleep and our mission of improving lives. There are many training and growth opportunities. I'm surrounded by a wonderful district of positive people to work with!

Cons

There aren't any major cons. I totally recommended joining Sleep Number!

Sleep Number Corporation2019-06-23
  1. "The Place I Wanted to Build a Career at"

Former Contractor - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number Corporation for less than a year

Pros

-Sharp managers that were not afraid to ask individual contributors for insights -Most managers I worked with separated talent from pure experience. I was able to thrive there and have a positive impact, despite being straight out of college -Process and continuous improvement was given high priority, at least in my department -Conscious appreciation for work life balance -If you work at Headquarters, you'll probably meet Shelly Ibach. I met her twice

Cons

-HR has the ability to override senior managers regarding employment decisions. My contract abruptly ended due to 'cost savings' despite my position saving the company more money than I was earning over 10 fold.

Advice to Management

On a macro scale, hold course. The solutions we put in place by Q1 2018 are obviously working and Sleep Number is doing a lot better than Q2 2017. You're doing a great job and are generally wonderful. On a micro scale, do everything in your power to retain the great talents who want to join management. If everybody who works with a person is saying they're an asset, that's exactly what they are. HR has a role that involves listening to what their co-workers tell them, yet they consciously stay deaf.

Sleep Number Corporation2019-08-01
  2. "Big East"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sleep Number Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing product. Generally love the company as a whole.

Cons

Upper management does not seem to ever work nor care about their job or take it seriously. They have people under them doing all of their work. Many times when people call for help they don’t even answer or when they does they cut them short. plays favorites and even tells people that manipulate goals to help get favorites where they want them to be. High up management was also overheard promoting this behavior. Upper management promotes people and gives people what they want based on personal reasons and not professional. Upper management makes decisions for the district based solely on personal opinion and emotion. This is a serious #metoo risk for the company and also racist. Upper management is loose with the tongue when talking about women’s looks and when speaking to even SPs about race. Upper management even judges prospective candidates solely by appearance. Upper management has denied transfers and promotions on grounds of appearance and race alone. I wish Upper management would be actually investigated by HR but unfortunately I heard this almost happened once they even went as far as to send someone to the district to meet with SMs and the SMs were silenced beforehand because the certain people We’re asked to to report back what was said. This is a retaliating Market. Happens all the time in small scale and large. Nobody understands why this leader still has a job other than based in one of the highest volume districts in the country and does pretty okay by happenstance. If people weren’t afraid to talk for fear either nothing would be done and they’d be retaliated against then if you wanted the truth you’d get it. Also, this Leader is the least motivating person on the planet. not a leader at all. Every email is negative. rarely does store visits and when they do, they rarely talks business. They only talks about themselves and if you don’t engage in conversation about that, laugh at jokes, compliment them or flirt with them then that leader doesn’t like you. If you don’t make that leader feel better about then they dont like you. Great company but some leaders dont have Sleep Number’s best interest at heart. Really disgusted at how this has been allowed to go on. You could probably ask every individual in the district to name 1 thing this leader does really well and if it were truly anonymous with no fear of retaliation they would tell you nothing positive.

Advice to Management

Actually read the surveys you send to us once a year and allow much space for us to write in if you care to really hear our voices and aren’t just trying to get a good score for the company. Send more surveys. Read reviews and listen. Do something. Respond. Actually care. Sleep number has the best culture with its employees but don’t let 1 bad seed ruin a bunch.

Sleep Number Corporation2020-01-25

Discover more reviews about Sleep Number Corporation.