Sleep Number by Select Comfort - Okay job...but its a job not a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

"Okay job...but its a job not a career"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The product is really a great product to sell. It is nice to be able to help people who are having a difficult time sleeping and hear them after getting a good nights sleep. Everyday I see someone who comes in to tell me how happy they are that they got a Sleep Number bed.

You can make money at times. But not for long periods of time.

Cons

I will try to be brief. I have read the other reviewers and I can hear the frustration in their voices. I completely understand how they feel. Everyone who works here can see the potential this company has. The problem is they don't have the management chops to get it done.

I have experienced most of the things that other reviewers have experienced. I can tell you, that even though the others reviewers are frustrated, the points they are making are all true.

To me the most annoying part is the micro management philosophy the company lives by. They do not trust you to do anything on your own, there is a checklist for everything. I have to check off a box everyday that reminds me to turn the lights on. WOW, it's a good thing for that box or I might walk around in the dark all day! Now, I can understand using checklists for complicated procedures but to turn on the lights! The worst par,t is that my district manager will actually check that list, when he is here, and if the box is not checked he will take off points on our audit. (Or maybe he just checked the wrong box because it's so dark in here.)

I share that example in justification that this company really focuses on everyone covering their own behinds. No one wants to think. No one uses any creativity, because creativity gets you in trouble. The motto here is "do it the way you are told and don't use your own brain." Luckily I have avoided the write ups that I see other managers getting because I play the game. My recommendation is that you do the same.

The worst part is that it is stifling what this company could be doing. Every quarter Tempurpedic, our main competitor, comes out and reports record sales and record profits. While Select comfort reports mediocre to good numbers. The potential here is insane, it should be Select Comfort reporting record profits, but they can't get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

It would be easy for me to sit here and blame everyone, but ultimately it comes down to the CEO. He is the one who is hiring the executive team lacking in real experience. He is the one allowing the cronyism to grow within the organization. I really like Bill and think he is a great guy. I have met him several times and he is always thoughtful and a great listener. But, how can he not see what is so obvious to everyone.

My advice Bill, get out into the stores. Talk to your managers and sales pros. Go by yourself without being accompanied by the district or regional manager. They are filtering reality from your view. You need to hear what is going on from the ground up. I promise you will be surprised.

Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

"Morals are lacking."

Current Employee - Sleep Expert
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert

Pros

If you kill yourself, ie... eat, sleep and breathe Select Comfort the money is good. I repeat you must live it!! Thats the only thing I can say in a positive note.

Cons

Crazy stressful, continued goal increase, 33% this month, so you are unable to reach the highest commission levels. Then if you achieve or exceed your goals and the store does not make goal you lose bonus! The low volume stores that continue to underperform are given small attainable goals, the stores with the best talent pick up their slack and are given ludricous goals to prevent them being able to make bonus! Constant pressure to make phone calls, gather as many leads as you can. Honesty cannot be utilized or you're declared a victim. Events are pushed but when you have one, your DM ignores your request. They want you to utilize chiropractors, massage therapist as " Cross Promotions", just take advantage of everybody! Morals do not exist. Constant pressure to use verbatim language, or a secret shooper may report you for not asking if you have a sleep partner, (example).

Advice to Management

Bill McLaughlin I really like, I believe he is an honest real person. The ones he has below him I will withhold comments since I have nothing positive to say.

"Okay"

Pros

The people are great.
    The product is amazing.

Cons

Communication is lacking.
    Little work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Bill McLaughlin is a good leader who does seem to care about the company and employees. People under him do not seem to care. There are many opportunities for better communication in the company.