Sleep Number by Select Comfort - Good retail job... | Glassdoor

"Good retail job..."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like making people's lives better and love sales, it's a great place to work. Job load is fairly easy once you get products down. Hours stay consistent throughout the year unlike a lot of other retailers.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up.

Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

"Inclusive and rewarding at the beginning of my career there, however in recent years exactly opposite."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in.

Cons

Leaders with their own agendas, lack of vision.

Advice to Management

Act upon poor employee engagement scores, share a vision with clear expectations, hold employees accountable.

"Fantastic store manager, but the District Manager played by his own set of rules."

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my job, I looked forward to the busiest and most hectic times of year, and my store manager was one of the best men I knew. I gave my time and energy and stayed after hours for major floor sets when other employees would take off because they couldn't be bothered. I made good money and and reached my annual goal 110%+. I was promoted to Sleep Expert in less than two years, which required achieving above and beyond sales goals.

Cons

Suddenly, it wasn't so fun to come to work and sell anymore. It became less about making your sales goal and selling beds than it became about selling $150 pillows with a high return rate. I could sell 100s of dollars in sheets, and it didn't matter because it wasn't 200% pillow sales! which was outrageous. The pressure cooker we became trapped in was awful and between the opening of a nearby location that cannibalized much of the more affluent customer base, and major construction on a very nearby highway, expectations became more outrageous with each passing month and impossible to meet. The district manager decided he wanted an all-new staff at our location, in spite of closing out 2011 with the highest December numbers in years.

Advice to Management

Some of us that worked for your company loved our job, loved our work environment, stayed extra hours during pivotal times, and supervised store remodels that went horribly awry because of the contractors involved, and not through any fault of our own. I never got over losing my job at Sleep Number, because I had been so happy there. I trusted my manager, and my coworkers and that is something you do not often find in a commission sales environment. I closed 2011 with the top volume in my store. There were employees in the district who had sales percentages comparable to mine, but were not dismissed the way I was. I was not a thief, I was utterly dependable, always on time, willing to work 11+ hour days, and my manager considered me his right hand. Beyond the confines of the store, there simply was not an atmosphere of fairness.