Sleep Train Mattress Centers - started as family oriented, now its corporate ran. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Train Mattress Centers

"started as family oriented, now its corporate ran."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yuba City, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yuba City, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

lots of down time, decent salary, pay was decent. great employee deals on merchandise. Great job for a single person with no social life or family to go home too.

Cons

rules constantly changing, no longer forcused on quality of employee, just numbers. there seems to be a disconect from middle management to the salesforce as to realistic expectaions of goals in the middle of a recession.

Advice to Management

if it hasnt been addressed already the B.O.T needs to be looked into better. you are loosing quality dependable loyal employees over sales numbers they cant control. you cant sell to customers that dont walk in the door. i know you think otherwise but its the reality of it. I love Dale but i dont think he realizes whats going on anymore in middle management. They lost a great employee when they let me go after 12 years over 2 k in profit goal not hit on there BOT program (sales probation from lack of hitting their imaginary sales goals). Also give the old timers a chance in promotions. They know there stuff which is why they are still around.

Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Train Mattress Centers

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent money if you're upgrading from McDonalds

Cons

Work/life balance is in the toilet. Make sure you tell all your friends and family you won't be seeking them ever again once you start working here.

Advice to Management

Add more staff to the already packed stores. This will ensure all the employees fight each other for every customer that comes through the door. Also, as a bonus, since nobody will be able to afford to eat, this will keep them weak and spiritless. Lacking the will to live will keep the employees from any rebellion.

"Don't waste your time, stay away."

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people working in the stores. Good healthcare. Can be fun if working in the right environment with good people.

Cons

Loooong hours 10 to 11 hour days 50% of the time by yourself. I'm not sure how this is legal, cannot close for a 30 minute lunch even when working 11 hours with no other person. The stores are open all but 3 days out of the year. Poor middle management. On days with meetings your are on the clock for 12-14 hours. After 10 years managing different locations I had enough, the day I turned my key in was one of the best day in my life...I got my life back.

Advice to Management

Show your store level employees more respect stop the constant threatening of their jobs. No matter how low a volume a store is it should never be one person working 10-11 hour days. The only people that brings in revenue for the company are The SALES STAFF so treat them better.