SmartBear Software - Great Career Opportunity for Mid Size, Growing Tech Company in Boston | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SmartBear Software

"Great Career Opportunity for Mid Size, Growing Tech Company in Boston"

Current Employee - CMO in Boston, MA
Current Employee - CMO in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am the new CMO with 10 weeks into the company as of end of May 2014. Prior to joining, I served as a consultant. What I found while consulting was the huge potential SmartBear has in some very exciting markets with a lot of growth potential. I also discovered a great marketing team. For me, the chance to accelerate the company growth, work with a top marketing team, hire, expand globally, and move from Beverly into the city over time, was too much to pass up. Couple that with some new APM technology acquired from Lucierna to expand AlertSite and the company is very compelling. If you are looking for a great opportunity with a mid-sized tech company in Boston that is profitable and growing, SmartBear is a great place to look. If you are hiring for a marketing position, you will definitely meet me and can ask why I chose to join. If you are hiring for another position, ask to get on my calendar and I can tell you why I am so excited about working at SmartBear.

Cons

Right now, marketing is understaffed and we are hiring. Lots to do, until we get staffed up, we either have to pass on great opportunities or stretch to get work done. More hiring, faster!

Beverly location not ideal - but company changing to Boston/North Station/Summerville location soon.

Other Employee Reviews for SmartBear Software

"Lots of hype from Marketing and Sales, but little substance due to multiple massive layoffs"

Former Employee - Sales in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Beverly, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly cannot think of any

Cons

When a company starts getting a reputation for greed and profit-maximization rather than product development and employee satisfaction, the cool factor tends to suffer. SmartBear screwed-over workers with years of experience at the company in favor of less experienced workers with lower salaries. This is not something the company wants people to think or even hear about when they see the SmartBear logo.

Advice to Management

Its not necessary to humiliate employees when firing them or laying them off. Just do what you need to do without the extra lack of professionalism and tact.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, overall highly functional, great people and management, very goal oriented. Encourages employees to thrive, promoting where credit is due, enablement is out the roof. Always something to challenge and affirm your efforts here.

Cons

Acquisitions over the years have not always been handled well, leaving some folks feeling jilted. Times change, people should move on too. Fast-paced growth sometimes leaves management loose ends, but quick to be resolved in most cases.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, they know what's up. Quickly resolve poorly handled situations. Build on the team spirit throughout each cycle instead of just at the end.