SmartBrief - About as good a place to work as an email newsletter company could be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SmartBrief

"About as good a place to work as an email newsletter company could be"

Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC
Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC

Pros

I have coworkers I like and I work on interesting things. I dress casually and roll in around 10. I feel like my peers and superiors listen to me and value my opinions. I've been able to advance my career in a somewhat shorter period than I think I would have been able to most places. There's beer in the fridge and the office is social.

Cons

Email can only be so exciting, even taking into account that we do a lot of interesting stuff around it. We can be proud of the products we put out, and our customers like us, but we're not saving puppies, orphans, or the world. We're not causing any big revolutions.

In my experience, office politics are better than they are be in other places I've worked, but it seems there are still occasional battles in the upper ranks that aren't entirely productive.

There are no offices in Hawaii or Costa Rica.

Advice to Management

Come to decisions and act on them a little more quickly.

SmartBrief's workplace culture seems to be an important reason that people stick around. Fight to keep it a positive as we grow.

Other Employee Reviews for SmartBrief

"SmartBrief is a good company with a good product, but is a very poorly managed company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Very relaxed environment and a great work-life balance in terms of expectations. They have a very good benefits package there as well.

Cons

Poor communication from management in terms of the direction of the company. It is very easy to get lost and caught on the outside of being one of managements favorites...

Advice to Management

My advice would be to be more transparent to your employees and to treat all employees fair.

"SmartBrief has great potential that needs to be realized."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

-Flat culture
    -Nice people
    -Company does a great service and produces a quality product
    -You can innovate and push ideas forward
    -Tremendous opportunity to be highly involved at an entry level and learn from experience

Cons

-There is minimal development or career advancement unless one threatens to quit, has a competitive offer, or does everything themselves
    -Poor motivation/communication from leadership--there is no mission.
    -Little leadership awareness of workplace issues
    -Extremely poor top down communication skills from leadership

Advice to Management

-Focus on Professional Development (in education, communication about career advancement, and recruiting, ect.)
    -Hire smarter people--recruit more widely and raise bases to become competitive in the marketplace. We are losing excellent candidates we are lucky to have apply because salaries are so much lower than competitive comparisons.
    -Address workplace issues effectively and efficiently.
    -HR should read SmartBrief on Workforce