Smile Direct Club - Could be so much better | Glassdoor

"Could be so much better"

Current Employee - Smile Guide in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay for Smile guides who come aboard early on is good, but is much less for new hires now. Pay is comparable with an experienced dental assistant position locally though and not anything special. Company benefits packages and insurance is good. Paid time off is now 3 weeks/year which is better.

Cons

This is not a dental assistant job. It is a sales position only and has turned into a retail job, in all the bad ways. You will not use ANY dental assisting skills at all in this position. In my state you do not even need to be a dental assistant to be a Smile Guide because it is not a dental job and does not require even a certificate. You are appointed 30 minutes to sell a new smile to each new customer all day... every day and then next customer. Your job is only secure based on you selling and closing at least 70%+ during these appointments each month, using all the newest sales tactics the company keeps pushing us to use. That is company standard and you will be put on a PIP and performanced out if you cannot meet their sales expectations. The Smile shops are open retail hours, including weekends, which are mandatory, and the Smile shops are managed by managers with zero dental experience or knowledge. They recruit managers from corporate retail chains to “coach” you into being a sales person. You must video record yourself in at least 50% of all the appointments that you see so that corporate can make sure you are following the company script word for word. The script is called the “journey” and that is what you must memorize and present verbatim to each guest while trying to make them believe you are their new bff. This is hard to do with a clear conscious once you see refinement and midcourse correction customers coming into our shops DAILY with serious mal-occlusion, open anterior bites, edge to edge occlusion, and even mobility due to treatment! We are approving too many cases that should never be allowed to do ortho without a doctor evaluating their periodontal health or being UPFRONT and STRAIGHT FORWARD with how their bites will be misaligned once treatment is completed. We are not doing the right thing for everyone. Yes, we are helping many people achieve the smile of their dreams, but others are being ruined. I see those people daily! Communication is the WORST! communication from the top to the ground level is so lacking. The company is disorganized and disheveled. The rules change daily.

Advice to Management

Only approve mild to moderate cases where you can do no harm. Approving more cases than this is not at the customers best interest from a health perspective. Be upfront about what will actually happen to a customers bite. The average everyday person isn’t a dentist and doesn’t realize what the smile plan means to their bite or that they can have root resorption and mobility, even tooth loss, especially when they... are approved by doctors that have never seen a customer in person. I’m sure that is all printed in extra tiny fine print somewhere and hidden in a link that the customer must check off without reading to receive treatment, but that isn’t really honesty or upfrontness either. Quality control of the aligners is just horrible... you should see some of the shoddy work coming back into the Smile shops with customers needing mcc because the aligners are not being well made anymore. Wayyyyyy better communication and quality control is needed company wide!!! Weekends off would also attract and KEEP more smile guides. Just sayin!

Smile Direct Club2019-09-08

September 25, 2019Team Member

Thank you for leaving us this feedback. We strive to make our job descriptions as clear as possible and hope that our trainings provide clarity as well. We’re disappointed that you feel misled and would love any additional feedback on what we could have done better. Please reach out to your People and Organization Business Partner so that we can collect feedback and make improvements or email us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

"GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Smile Guide in Rowlett, TX

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its an up and coming business with lots of growth potential and employees share in the benefits of the great business. Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

hours cut after 1st month.

Advice to Management

Schedule smile guides the hours as they were told in the interview process.

Smile Direct Club2019-10-10

October 17, 2019Team Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. We value every piece of feedback we receive, and we know it takes time out of your busy day to complete! Happiest of smiles!

"smileguide"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

we do get bonuses at work

Cons

the shops are open too late AND on sundays

Smile Direct Club2019-10-08

October 10, 2019Team Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. We value every piece of feedback we receive, and we know it takes time out of your busy day to complete! Best of smiles!

Discover more reviews about Smile Direct Club.