SmithBucklin - Fun Culture, Cool People, Interesting Work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

"Fun Culture, Cool People, Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Business-casual attire, pretty strict 8:30-5pm workday, workout facility on-site, employee owned stock program, awesome office location, cafeteria on-site

Cons

No shorts in the summer, new employee referral bonus is very low compared to others, not a lot of inter-team mingling

Advice to Management

Facilitate more socializing between teams! I feel like the only people I communicate with on a daily basis are the same five people.

Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin

"Great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are innumerable opportunities to learn new things and move up - but you have to work for it and ask for it. Nothing is handed to you (and that's ok!)
    They've recently implemented a great people manager training series, which I have never seen at another company. They're committed to training people managers to improve retention.
    My unit head is VERY approachable and receptive to feedback and ideas. He's very communicative with the unit about what is going on and does a great job giving positive feedback.

Cons

The pay is not great.
    The workload is intense, and it's difficult to have a work/life balance.
    My association executive has completely unrealistic and unmanageable expectations about pace of work, and it gets draining.
    There is little autonomy at the manager level.
    The structure is a little top heavy. On my client team, we have a much higher percentage of team members at the manager level and above than at the client level. This is very frustrating for associates who have to go through 3 people to get anything approved.

Advice to Management

Invest in the core professional group; help them to feel valued and to develop their skills.

"MarCom Department is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visionary leadership in MarCom Department, willing to change with the times and adapt to new technologies
    Excellent professional development program, if the employee is willing to take advantage of it
    Department management is willing to let employees build their career within the department around their own strengths - always open to suggestions
    Upward mobility, yearly raises, yearly bonuses, 401k match, open door policy

Cons

Clunky creative design department - far too much depends on the leader of the department, and she is an individual with her own agenda. If you don't fit in her agenda, watch out.
    Shady-seeming executive management that doesn't tell the whole story or keep promises
    Workload can get overwhelming in a hurry if not well planned
    Politics - people get promoted or stick around simply because they have been there for a long time, not necessarily because they excel at the job
    HR department is a joke
    Some PDL's are more active advocates than others, if you get a lazy one you may not get the bonuses or raises you feel you deserve

Advice to Management

MarCom management - keep up the great work, the vision and direction of the department is inspiring, relevant and on track
    Executive management - stop backtracking