SmithBucklin - Great Place with Great People | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

"Great Place with Great People"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmithBucklin does an excellent job of hiring high-quality, skilled professionals. Roles/departments are well-defined and if you are willing to work hard and truly want to learn and grow professionally, this is the right place for you. This is not the place for individuals who want to skate along, fly under the radar and not pull their weight.

The company has an evident commitment to employee development and ongoing learning. With a variety of clients and projects, you get exposure to many different types of work, organizations and people - as well as the opportunity to take part in directing your own career path by expressing interest areas and pursuing them.

The Marketing & Communications department is well managed with focus and strong leadership that cares about each employee's growth and interests.

If I was not relocating, I would never have left this company.

Cons

A lot of positions require travel and some require extra time during certain busy times of the year, so you have to be able to strike a balance and know when those times are for your clients.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your top performers and instill incentives for the amazing group of employees you have. Don't loose them! Not all departments were as well-managed as the MarComm department with close attention to individual bandwidth and utilization...this is so important within the client-based business that you work.

Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin

"Great place to advance your career…"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong values, good pay and benefits with emphasis on Career Development!

The company provides associates with invaluable work experience to develop their careers.

Cons

If you’re not interested in a fast paced environment, this place is not for you.

Advice to Management

Management focuses on the financials which is critical for SmithBucklin clients, but remember that certain technologies are needed to provide those same clients with excellent products and services.

"ESOP Has Its Privileges"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being employee owned with an ESOP program means that I scored big when I left. I cashed out nearly double what I had contributed to my 401k. Also, I made a lot of great friends and professional colleagues at Smith Bucklin. Since all of us have left (a group of nearly 30), we have remained in close contact, and I foresee these professional relationships lasting a lifetime.

Cons

I'm still not sure whether my time at Smith Bucklin was worth it. They run you like a dog, working long, thankless hours, and without an end in sight. This explains how the ESOP profits -- because there's no skin off the company's nose when I'm billing out at 60 hrs a week and not compensated beyond my salary. Bonuses are skimpy and I couldn't take the time off that I accrued due to such demanding schedules and workload. The CEO is a force not to be reckoned with, and he can be downright nasty to anyone who doesn't drown in their own blood, sweat, and tears. All too often I heard, "this environment isn't for everyone." But no one can go at that grueling pace with no reward mechanism or breathing room for long. Run while you can.

Advice to Management

This seems pointless, as the boy's club is just waiting for the CEO to retire aka take his money and run.