SmithBucklin - Good experience, but unless you're a 'Rising Star,' no growth potenial. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

"Good experience, but unless you're a 'Rising Star,' no growth potenial."

Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, talented, employes that want to grow. Because it's it's association mangement, you get to work with lots of different types of people and industries, so you get great experience dealing with people at all sorts of company levels.

Cons

My first two years were a good experience. Enjoyed the work and the people, even though most were younger than me (right out of school). My last year and a half I guess they figured I was not going to be a good fit and they wanted me to leave, which feels like the only explanation of what was going on. There are opportunities at the company for those that decide they want to give 200% in order to advance, but I have a life and want to live it so I refused to do that. I got penalized in my reviews for overbilling clients, but they would not assign me new clients or new work projects. Prior to that the work load was super crazy. My non-exempt job status should have allowed me to bring in additional overtime, but they create structures so that you can only charge so much time during travel. I never got a raise or promotion in my almost four years there. My manager was so swamped with his own clients, he had no time to really help us figure out good career paths at the company. They have created a culture where if anyone who worked under an association client had issue with a business unit employee, they never went to the employee to talk about the problem, they went straight to the Managers/senior managers and then the employee is blindsided by it at their review. It's difficult if you don't know how or want to play the game.

Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin

"Best job on several levels in my 20 year working career."

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SmithBucklin is an amazing place to work. The management passes on the success of the company through 100% employee ownership as well as suprises like the new iPads because the company had a great 2013. Most companies would take those profits and run with them or give bonuses to the execs. The team I work on is collaborative and each individual is bright and knowledgeable. We are encouraged to partake in training and professional development.

Cons

SmithBucklin is very open to hiring younger people and providing them opportunities. Sometimes this leads to hirer turn over because in my opinion they don't necessarily know what is out there and they might leave to chase a dollar or two raise not knowing what I do from personal experience and a long career, that an extra dollar or two doesn't compare to a great work environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to share the success of the company with employees. There are many of us that do recognize and appreciate it.

"Great Place with Great People"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmithBucklin does an excellent job of hiring high-quality, skilled professionals. Roles/departments are well-defined and if you are willing to work hard and truly want to learn and grow professionally, this is the right place for you. This is not the place for individuals who want to skate along, fly under the radar and not pull their weight.

The company has an evident commitment to employee development and ongoing learning. With a variety of clients and projects, you get exposure to many different types of work, organizations and people - as well as the opportunity to take part in directing your own career path by expressing interest areas and pursuing them.

The Marketing & Communications department is well managed with focus and strong leadership that cares about each employee's growth and interests.

If I was not relocating, I would never have left this company.

Cons

A lot of positions require travel and some require extra time during certain busy times of the year, so you have to be able to strike a balance and know when those times are for your clients.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your top performers and instill incentives for the amazing group of employees you have. Don't loose them! Not all departments were as well-managed as the MarComm department with close attention to individual bandwidth and utilization...this is so important within the client-based business that you work.