Snap - Poor management. Negative culture. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Snap

"Poor management. Negative culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time

Pros

- Free lunch and dinner
- Casual attire
- Work by the beach
- Small company means bigger impact on the user base and on the product

Cons

- Top-level management is churning, most recently our COO
- Unpolished CEO who loves to fly off the handle and fire people who disagree with him
- Complete secrecy and lack of trust: even as an employee & shareholder you're not allowed to know any information about the company: projects, users, valuation, etc.
- Face-time in the office matters. Unlike every other tech company, working from home is frowned upon. But you'll be too scared to ask, so it doesn't matter.
- Mandatory Wednesday evening meetings.... seriously.
- Very junior leadership across the company
- Shocking amounts of red-tape and bureaucracy for such a small company
- Negative, fear-driven, top-down culture
- Less competitive salaries, benefits, & perks to Silicon Valley competitors (see below)
- Horrific equity vesting schedule over 4 years: 10%, 20%, 30%, 40% whereas almost every other company you vest 25% a year for 4 years.
- 10 days of PTO a year and 5 sick days (No, I'm not joking, and yes this is 2015. Better not get sick this year... or any year!)
- No performance reviews/salary adjustments, etc.
- No bonus structure
- No 401k matching
- All those really cool tech company perks you've heard about: we don't have any of them.
- Far from the rest of the tech community in the Silicon Valley (means limited options when it's time to change jobs)
- Cost of living in Venice/Santa Monica is insane. Bay Area prices.

Less Egregious Cons:
- Working by Venice beach can actually be pretty annoying, loud, or even scary
- If you didn't join the company early enough to get a parking spot, you have to park in a lot 1 mile away and take a (free) shuttle to the office. The shuttle starts going back to the lot in the evening at 6pm. Good luck getting home if you need to leave before that (but you won't need to leave before 6, because you'll be too scared to ask)

Advice to Management

Wrangle in the CEO. No one wants to be cussed at or threatened at work.

Get someone to head up HR who can deconstruct the toxic culture and build something awesome.

Treat your employees like you actually trust them: let them work from home when they need/want, let them know what the company is working on so they can be excited, celebrate victories and milestones,

Stop the fake, overly curated reviews on Glassdoor. Try ACTUALLY making it a great place to work, then we won't have to lie about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Snap

"Content Analyst"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Venice, CA

I have been working at Snap part-time

Pros

Great pay for the work
    Flexible work
    Entertaining job

Cons

No advancement positions
    Can become boring at times

"Great place to work with a bright future :)"

Current Employee - Designer in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Venice, CA

I have been working at Snap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing colleagues, the ability to work on many different projects at once, the location is incredible. I actually have people I consider friends here and we're all very supportive of each other.

Cons

Growing very fast, and it sometimes feels too fast. I miss knowing everyone, but that's a part of a growing company. So pretty much classic startup growing pains.

Advice to Management

Be very wary that we are a growing company, and try to maintain that perspective as we continue to grow. Try to hold onto the values and culture we had as a smaller startup, and carry them through as we expand. It's what makes us special :)