Snap-on - Contract Labor - Crytstal Lake | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Snap-on

"Contract Labor - Crytstal Lake"

Current Contractor - Don't Know in Crystal Lake, IL
Current Contractor - Don't Know in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Snap-on as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Seems to be a true commitment to making Snap-on a good place to work. It seems very genuine.

They treat the contract labor almost as well as the employees. Server went down one day and they had us do cleaning and then sent us home 4 hours early but paid us for 8. I can see doing that for employees, but they did it with the contract workers, too! Amazing. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Nice, well equipped cafeteria (Ice, condiments, many CLEAN microwaves and refrigerators). They even provide 8 PCs with internet access that you can use on breaks/lunch. I think they even subsidize some of the vending machines-- coffee for 30 cents?

Nice, clean restrooms and locker rooms.

They provide more than adequate provisions for smokers. But the smokers don't appreciate it by using trash cans and receptacles.

On very hot days they will sometimes drop off a huge cooler of Gatorade-- I consider that over and above.

The Crystal Lake facility is well run. Almost everyone is pleasant and helpful. Contract and employees seem dedicated to the company. It feels like you're working for a large, privately owned family company.

The CL warehouse is company owned- not leased, so it will probably be there forever if not expanded. You can see which locations are owned/leased in the Company's annual report.

Cons

Poor communication for new employees. You sometimes find out about work policies and procedures and meetings and overtime requirements from your coworkers.

Performance issues are sometimes addressed vaguely in a group setting. You need to guess if the problem applies to you or not-- I'd rather be confronted directly and specifically-- I am not psychic.

As a contract employee, the pay is low and there are no benefits-- but it's a foot in the door and you knew what the deal was when you signed on here.

Zero tolerence on Safety Violations-- you don't get a warning-- you get fired.

I was told it could take years to get hired on, if at all.

Other Employee Reviews for Snap-on

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As employees we are allowed to challenge the status quo. Snap-on allows us to think for ourselves and to bring new ideas to the table. Management seems to take the time to listen to our concerns.

Cons

The only con to me is the drive.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees.

"Executives, especially the CEO, continue to be overpaid while employees and former empolyees struggle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Snap-on full-time

Pros

Facility in Kenosha is decent. Area is a good place to raise family.

Cons

Morale extremely low, no work-life balance, employees get to read about overpaid senior executives while watching their co-workers lose their jobs and their homes. Sadly, so many families ripped apart due to work stress and/or lay-off stress. There is no way that the performance of the company can be attributed to the "talent" of one man. Snap-on is the only game in town and the employees give blood just to keep their jobs. The employees are the real reason for the company success, not the greed of the CEO. If you become disabled while employed there, their insurance company will take ALL of your dependent benefits from SSDI to pay themselves back for your benefits: this is in place because senior management decided to take a discount on premiums. Yes, this info is in teeny, teeny print on the benefits statement. What does the CEO care if a disabled employee can't send their children to college? If the company did not take the premium discount, thereby allowing disabled employees to keep their dependent SSDI benefits, the CEO would still find himself highly overpaid. That extra money in his pocket will make little difference in his life, but that employee's ability to send his/her children to college will make a huge difference in their's. So sad that the greed of the CEO has outweighed his concern for his employees, their families and the communities in which they live.

Advice to Management

Want to watch morale and performance go way up? Take reasonable salaries, bonuses and stock comp for yourselves and ensure that more employees get to keep their jobs and their homes. Let them have work life balance so they can be there for their children.

While you may be able to manage by fear and continue to replace burned out employees with anyone who desparately needs a job, what legacy are you really leaving? You are already set for life: give others a chance to have some work/life balance and be their for their children, their parents and their community. Don't you want your life to have meaning other than money?