Snap-on - Field marketing | Glassdoor

"Field marketing"

Current Contractor - Sales Developer in Orlando, FL
Current Contractor - Sales Developer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Snap-on as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

They make decent equipment for shops, but do not present a threat to the various competitors selling the major part of the market in the larger equipment category.

Cons

They have a major lack of service for the equipment, this is where they tend to lose most of the battles in the streets.

Advice to Management

When you learn how to market your equipment in the field the sky could be the limit and the competitors would then be concerned. Until then you will remain a supplier of good tool truck tools,but will continue to remain but a mere fractional supplier of the larger equipment needed in today's service shop user environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Snap-on

"Challenging and Rewarding Place to Work"

Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay & benefits; excellent training programs. Set your own schedule.

Cons

Extensive travel, long hours, poor family/work balance. Too great amount of politics involved in personnel management and promotions. Promotions are very difficult.

Advice to Management

Regional managers have too much power regarding the hiring and firing of Regional FPT management. Management is more concerned about documenting activities that (aren't actually) are occurring then the actual success of the Franchisees. CYA environment!

2. "Contract Labor - Crytstal Lake"

Current Contractor - Don't Know in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Contractor - Don't Know in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Snap-on as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Seems to be a true commitment to making Snap-on a good place to work. It seems very genuine.

They treat the contract labor almost as well as the employees. Server went down one day and they had us do cleaning and then sent us home 4 hours early but paid us for 8. I can see doing that for employees, but they did it with the contract workers, too! Amazing. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Nice, well equipped cafeteria (Ice, condiments, many CLEAN microwaves and refrigerators). They even provide 8 PCs with internet access that you can use on breaks/lunch. I think they even subsidize some of the vending machines-- coffee for 30 cents?

Nice, clean restrooms and locker rooms.

They provide more than adequate provisions for smokers. But the smokers don't appreciate it by using trash cans and receptacles.

On very hot days they will sometimes drop off a huge cooler of Gatorade-- I consider that over and above.

The Crystal Lake facility is well run. Almost everyone is pleasant and helpful. Contract and employees seem dedicated to the company. It feels like you're working for a large, privately owned family company.

The CL warehouse is company owned- not leased, so it will probably be there forever if not expanded. You can see which locations are owned/leased in the Company's annual report.

Cons

Poor communication for new employees. You sometimes find out about work policies and procedures and meetings and overtime requirements from your coworkers.

Performance issues are sometimes addressed vaguely in a group setting. You need to guess if the problem applies to you or not-- I'd rather be confronted directly and specifically-- I am not psychic.

As a contract employee, the pay is low and there are no benefits-- but it's a foot in the door and you knew what the deal was when you signed on here.

Zero tolerence on Safety Violations-- you don't get a warning-- you get fired.

I was told it could take years to get hired on, if at all.