Snap-on - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative in Kenosha, WI
Current Employee - Administrative in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, good benifits, stable company

Cons

Raises and bonus only good at management levels

Other Employee Reviews for Snap-on

1. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Since the current management has taken over, all facilities have been upgraded tremendously with emphasis on safety and convenience. Management gives quarterly reviews to all employees and insight into the business. Benefits are good including a good 401k with match, ESP, and health plans.

Cons

Not much room for advancement or emphasis on giving employees a chance to move to other divisions or departments.

Advice to Management

Start more collaboration between the divisions including the movement of employees between the divisions.

2. "Poor communication Crystal Lake warehouse"

Former Contractor - Order Processing in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Contractor - Order Processing in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Snap-on as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly simple work. There is good music playing all day in the warehouse.

Cons

Terrible communication, hours fluctuate daily, little-to-no oversight.

There is a pre-shift meeting daily in the cafeteria to discuss what the work day looks like. That is great in theory, but the execution of these meetings are laughable. They are held in the cafeteria where there are literally a half dozen TVs blaring at full blast. I'm sitting ten feet away from the supervisor, and I cannot make out what he's saying. 2/3 of the time I was really unsure of what I was supposed to be doing after these "meetings" and I had to ask everyday. The supervisors don't seem very interested in anything other than sitting in their office all day staring at their computer screens. I found them to be very disengaged from the employees.

They also decide day to day if there is going to be mandatory overtime or not. I suppose I understand the workflow varies quite a bit, but if you have to maintain a set schedule for whatever reason, family or whatever, forget about it. The schedule literally changes during the course of the day. You go in expecting to work a normal 8 hour day, then suddenly they
     decide on the day that everyone has to work 2 hours of overtime. The work itself is clearly not evenly distributed among the employees. Some pickers/packers are stuck with huge orders while others have very small ones, and it's the employees themselves who can actually cherry-pick if they want what orders to take.

I knew after a few days that this place would not be for me. Luckily, I was able to get a much better job in every respect. I gave SnapOn a 2 week notice during midweek. I finished that week out. I was prepared to see the 2 weeks through, but was called the following Monday and told to not come in anymore. I wasn't bothered so much because I have a great job waiting for me. The only bad thing is the lost income for those 2 weeks, but that is the trade-off.

The employees here are made up of a combination of kids currently in school, retirees, and kids who maybe didn't get that far in school. So, I guess that speaks for itself. This job was a stop-gap for me, and thankfully the period of time there was short.

Advice to Management

There has to be better communication.