Sobeys - Interesting | Glassdoor

"Interesting"

Pros

Large growing employer, varied job types
Great place to get experience as a part time employee
Great community support and involvement

Cons

Regional model creates challenges to optimize Processes
Very hard to find information needed to do job or as an employee

Advice to Management

Advance process harmonization efforts
Better training for management team on performance feedback and employee development
Improve transparency of communication
Reduce the bureaucratic organizational levels
Embrace greater true team based structures

Other Employee Reviews for Sobeys

1. "Great place to work while in High School"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Easy work
    - Social events

Cons

- Management doesn't share much with employees
    - Bringing in carts

Advice to Management

- Benefits for part time employees

"I have had a pretty good experience, not without its negatives, but generally I really like the people I work with."

Current Employee - Office Clerk
    Current Employee - Office Clerk

Pros

The managers I work under are great! I have no problem communicating with them, and my schedule is quite flexible, seeing I have a busy family life as well. I think that in any company, if you are pleasant & respectful (and you do your job to the best of your abilities), that the same will generally be given in return. I think flexible hours for me are a pro.

Cons

I am sure as to any major chain store, that these negatives will generally be the same.
    We do not have a set pay scale, as we are not a corporate store and we are not unionized.
    We are expected to do more and more work, with less and less hours available. There simply is not enough time to get everything done!
    Things are continually changing...just as you get use to doing something one way, head office comes back to us with another way, and expect us to change practically overnight.
    I find that the moral where I work has been consistently going down, due to so many changes, and all of the expectations that are required.
    I find it very hard to feel pride in your work and to keep caring, when things are continually being picked at and dictated to us, with such high expectations. I feel there is continuous pressure on all of the department managers and their employees, therefore bringing the morale down.
    What ever happened to constructive criticism, followed by praise for those things that were done right?

Advice to Management

My advice would be for those at head office to give us little people some slack, and maybe a little more notice to any changes that are expected to take place. More hours need to be allotted to adjust to these changes to carry them through more efficiently, as well as more hours are needed to be able to carry out the tasks already expected of everyone. I realize that you all have a job to do, and that your job is to do what is "best" from a financial perspective, but you also have to consider things from our perspective as the employees who are trying to carry our daily tasks.