Sodexo - Lived up to the general reputation of food services jobs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo

"Lived up to the general reputation of food services jobs"

Former Employee - General Food Services Worker in Framingham, MA
Former Employee - General Food Services Worker in Framingham, MA

Pros

As a part time student, I found the general manager willing to accomodate my needs regarding scheduling. My immediate supervisor was also respectful and easy to work with.

Cons

The biggest problem with this job, and the reason I decided to quit, was that the organizational structure and hierarchy were not properly adhered to. Several staff members who had higher positions than me but were not my supervisors took it upon themselves to offer unsolicited criticism of the way I did my work. Entry level food services positions are not rocket science, and since my supervisor and the general manager were not only pleased with my work but were closely involved (to the point of being nitpicky) in guiding me, I resented having coworkers second guessing me. Bureaucracy and micro-management thus made a job which could have been merely tedious quickly unbearable.

Advice to Management

Stop assigning so many mid-level titles to front-line staff members. In my experience, it gives too many people a free pass to treat co-workers condescendingly and undercuts the much more productive organizational structure that a team environment allows for.

Other Employee Reviews for Sodexo

1. "Awesome Company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - General Manager in Bartlesville, OK

Pros

Diversity
    Great Support from Upper Management

Cons

High turnover with hourly staff

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Kiss ups and self promotion are rewarded more than hard work and competence"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

Pros

Competitive pay as long as you negotiate when you start. Don't count on much after that. If you just want stability with no chance for advancement then this is the place. I shouldn't say that if you are a kiss up and self promoting backstabbing SOB then you'll be promoted. Management seems to promote incompetence and unethical behavior.

Cons

Don't expect management to have a clue about what it takes to do your job. If you want to succeed make your boss look really good and do anything he/she asks no matter how far outside your job scope and responsibilities it is. They love a good suck up. You'll get promoted and expected to work even harder to cover your bosses mistakes. If you have a good idea that could help the company, expect to have to explain it in one sentence. Managements attention span is about 60 seconds and they are usually deciding what you are saying within the first three words. Otherwise, just keep it to yourself. If you make it happen without there knowledge they will either take credit for it or forget somehow you did it. Don't expect any strategic direction here it's all reactive and tactical.

Advice to Management

If you weren't so busy self promoting yourselves and keeping the most competent people down for fear of how they would make you look you might be more successful. I know it's tough dealing with the pompous french who don't have a clue and dictate what to do no matter how stupefying it is. But that doesn't mean you have to sink to their level of ignorance.