Sodexo - I was given many opportunities to grow and the company has many benefits. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo

"I was given many opportunities to grow and the company has many benefits."

Former Employee - Cook in Thatcher, AZ
Former Employee - Cook in Thatcher, AZ

I worked at Sodexo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are jobs available to people of all experience levels and located all over the country.

Cons

The service industry is a tough environment. There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete.

Advice to Management

Learn how to delegate authority.

Other Employee Reviews for Sodexo

1. "Corporate Services - A lot of Integrity built Into Systems - Good for Clients - Not always great for managers"

Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Don't work weekends. Your unit is basically your business to run as long as you do not have any problems and meet your financial goals,l which has givne me the opportunity to build a good team. If you are willing to move nationally there are always many opportunities.

Cons

I was told I was expected to work 50 hours a week as a salaried manager - I started as an hourly - and I agreed to this; funny though, that I have to enter my time as an 8 hour shift. I wanted to train with another GM at another account for a week before taking on the troubled account they were giving me,but was told there was not time - "Have to get someone in there." Don't accept that and make the same mistake I did. My boss basically gave me the keys and moved on sending me the the "so glad you are there" email as I out out fire after fire. It was hell figuring everything out and taking care of an account where the client was questioning if our company was the right one going forward.

Have to work the weekend? No worries - my boss does not allow any comp time... No operational - direct marking assistance or culinary assistance - help for small to mid sized accounts in my region- the company has cut back through attrition to meet their financial goals.

Last year they cut DM performance increases. This year (2014) they cut GM increases. I have always gotten above average increases = 4%. I rated that again last year but only got 1% because only managers below median salary were allowed their full increase because the company is trying to meet their financial goals.

Take it as a pro or con but it is very difficult to terminate an employee for any reason.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the pros and cons listed. I have voiced my concern to my DM that I am not very satisfied because I cannot perform at the level I would like because I do not have enough in unit or out of unit support and work too many hours as it is (10-12 hours a day plus take home work or come in over the weekend). Absolutely no work life balance - Sodexo talks about it, but I have less and less. I think work life balance is limited to the people who write the polices and hourlys because we don't allow or strictly limit overtime. I went home sick after nine hours the other day and was amazed at how it felt to have so an extra couple of hours - do I need to put in sick time for that?

I was told there is not money for anyone to provide direct support to units at a district level. What is the direct and indirect cost of hiring a new unit manager to the company, to the client and to the turnover it will more than likely cause on the hourly side? I have worked for Sodexo for 12 years but if I have my way I will be helping you to find that out.

Sodexo Response

Mar 14, 2014 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these things and would encourage you to contact your HR director to discuss and resolve issues as they occur because ... More

2. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has a friendly work environment and there are a lot of positions available. It is a great place for students jobs.

Cons

It is really hectic at times. Also you need to perform a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Can be more friendly