SoftLayer - Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

"Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really awesome co-workers and free snacks (sodas, junk food, orange juice, etc)

Cons

Interface team is forced to use the slow and horrible API which was built upon the horrible in-house ORM, resulting in a poor work environment, having to make too many design and user experience sacrifices, which results in a slow and sub-par product.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be more vocal to upper management about the issues developers face. Issues are raised and even after 8 months there's no response.

Managers need to be more forceful and call out other teams on their crappy code instead of telling their own to find a way to work around major issues.

Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer

"Don't Be A SLAYER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have promises of great friendly working environment. Free stuff..etc. Great place to learn some and not all technical skills. Comprehensive training programs...etc. make you feel welcome like home and second family...etc. GREAT LOW LEVEL TEAM MATE! YAY.

Cons

Ohh no! let wait after two or three weeks, you will under continuous policy changes and not only from the corporate, but from senior fellow somewhere in "TEXAS." Yes, it not your second family, it "REQUIRE" YOU, to get rid of your personal life or activities. Check your e-mail every few minutes "EVEN YOU WERE OFF", take altitude from fellow TEXAS SENIOR. NO negotiation on holiday or PTO even requested. YOU found yourself working for some senior TEXAS guys while they were chatting or stalking on FACEBOOK. Last but not least, while all these requirements happened, you
    still got paid really low under market salary. I guess the best way describe is: GET SOME PEOPLE WITH REAL MANAGEMENT SKILLS, and my advise is: IT IS A OK PLACE TO LEARN, BUT NOT THE OK PLACE TO STAY.

Advice to Management

Management is LEAD BY EXAMPLE and not by force or fear or sitting in the room and pointing finger. TAKE Alexander Great Emperor as the example. LEAD IN FRONT AND BY EXAMPLE!

"Good for starting out... but that's about it"

Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

1) good learning environment
    2) training modules to acclimate us to the types of issues we would commonly see
    3) OT was just about always offered if we wanted it

Cons

1) pay was incredibly low. I came in with several years of experience, but was treated as if I was brand new, and was consistently called "cocky" for not asking for help for things I knew how to do.
    2) male dominated culture, with no reason to change it in the datacenters. Females are treated weird... sometimes in a good way, but mostly in a bad way.
    3) I heard lots of complaints from many different techs that had been promoted, but never received the accompanying pay increases. Job promotions were routinely pushed off until techs were ready to quit over things that had been promised, and never fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the employees. If you promise people a set course for a promotion, don't turn it around and get mad at them for completing their roles, and expecting you to live up to your side of the bargain. Be more understanding that you're starting techs off at a very low pay, and that if you're expecting to keep talent, that talent has to be paid for.