SoftLayer - Worst Place I Have Ever Worked | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

"Worst Place I Have Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time

Pros

The company tries to give you unique perks like casual dress code, free food and drinks in the kitchen, brings in lunches, and organize events.
Health benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The company always looked fun, but I don't think the fun culture really translates into the back office. It is different if you are in operations I think.
Company is transitioning. Upper management used to be very open door, and now a lot of the founders are leaving, which is really changing the company into this rigid, hierarchical culture.
They expect you to work a ton of overtime, and don't even thank you or anything. No bonuses offered.
The management really doesn't care about it's employees. They are so closed door and hard to get ahold of that you are lucky if you even get a word in when you pass them on the way to the bathroom.
This place has the potential to be a good place to work. It's a shame the mid-level and C-level management is really ruining it. And although I think it was moving in the right direction when I left, I don't think it will ever be that great because of the corporate attitude that is taking place instead of a more family environment.

Advice to Management

Give credit to your employees where it's due, even a little thank you can go a long way. You should be willing to train and develop your employees, not just let them go at a moments notice. Be available for your staff.

Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer

"Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really awesome co-workers and free snacks (sodas, junk food, orange juice, etc)

Cons

Interface team is forced to use the slow and horrible API which was built upon the horrible in-house ORM, resulting in a poor work environment, having to make too many design and user experience sacrifices, which results in a slow and sub-par product.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be more vocal to upper management about the issues developers face. Issues are raised and even after 8 months there's no response.

Managers need to be more forceful and call out other teams on their crappy code instead of telling their own to find a way to work around major issues.

"I'm embarrassed to have worked there."

Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of customers and their issues made the job technically challenging. The terrible management provided opportunities to improve personal character, particularly patience, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Cons

Upper management seems to be drunken fools who care only for themselves. For my team size we had 100% employee turnover every two years with most quitting in one year. My team had 5 managers in only a few years. Why, not enough room to descibe it here. For me the main offense was management promising things that they knew they could not deliver to customers and they were happy to let us on the front lines take the brunt of trying to deliver in an impossible situation.

Advice to Management

No advice, they are happy to lie and collect money for what they don't do. They just want to go public and become even richer than they are. I view them as beyond human aid.