SoftLayer - Terrible company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

"Terrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My peers, that's honestly it.

Cons

Management is completely clueless, all the good people left the company already. Do not expect a pay raise. Pay for a data center technician is about $12/hour with horrible benefits. Expect long hours un-boxing servers, micro-management, and labor law violations. You will be treated horrible at this company, beware.

Advice to Management

Start acting like a good company and treat your employees better. With all the recent reviews I've read how have you guys not figured this out yet? Your employees are your most valuable asset. Softlayer does not have the right leadership in place to ever be a competitor to Amazon, Azure, or Rackspace but you guys can set an example for the mid/lower level hosts out there.

I was given a $200/year raise for my annual review as a top performer, we got a coffee mug for Christmas back in 2010.

Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer

"Senior Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There is no shortage of interesting problems. The issues the customers have are unique, and will definitely keep your plate full.
    - They have their own clothing line.

Cons

- The entire company does everything through the internal portal. This means none of it will apply to your future jobs.
    - No raises, and a "no counter" policy. This speaks worlds of what they think of their employees. We aren't worth the extra money, or trying to keep.
    - They put automation so high on the priority list that there are some serious fundamental flaws with the technology that get completely ignored.
    - A lot of Developers and Admins have a serious attitude problem.
    - They have a tattoo artist at company functions. These functions are also quite alcohol heavy. It was not uncommon for them to, encouraging drunk people to get a tattoo. The tattoo was free as long as the softlayer logo is somewhere in it. I find this completely irresponsible and childish.

Advice to Management

You may want to look back at what The Planet did correctly. In the five years you didn't own that company, it made quite a bit of progress. During the merger, that was all thrown away. Simply mentioning the name "The Planet" got you nasty looks.

Treat your employees how you want them to treat your company. If you treat them like they are expendable, they will walk... Especially if they are good at what they do.

"Good experience for other jobs"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good and helpful people, at least in Houston. Some good and helpful people in Dallas also but not a majority.

Experiences will be good on resume.

Cons

In the year I've been with the company, I've seen several people leave, and a few of them said their reason for leaving was that pay raises were scarce. These people were all veterans from before the merger with The Planet, so that should say something.

Advice to Management

Commit to giving yearly pay raises based on performance, or at least a yearly bonus, profit sharing, something.