SoftLayer - Was fun before the merger, now it's like it's run by a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

"Was fun before the merger, now it's like it's run by a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off."

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Security Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

The people you work with on your level are some of the best you will ever meet despite senior management. The opportunity to grow your skills were one of the high points of this job, unsure if it's still like that - they were compartmentalizing job duties to the point where you only touch one aspect of what used to be your entire job.

Cons

Too compartmentalized, which reduces the ability to grow. Too many changes too fast and not enough communication from management to field ops or even between management.
Not enough quality anymore - for Erwin it's all about quantity and the bottom line.
He likes to brag about all the money he spends on exotic cars, but he doesn't talk about the companies he's run into the ground and what he's learned from it.

Advice to Management

You've lost heart because money rules you. You have taken away what made The Planet great.
You need to stop dreaming up things to do and fire half of your management, the company is too top heavy. You also need to listen to your employees more, the planet had some small issue prior to the merger - but for sure it's systems in place and documentation and procedure outranks anything houston ever had.

Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer

1. "Average Company to work for. If you are looking for a nice environment to work at, this is a good company."

Current Employee - Regional Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales in Dallas, TX

Pros

Can work at home. Very little interferance. Good learning environment. Low stress

Cons

Low pay. Low promotional upside.

Advice to Management

The managers were very good.

"Great Company, Poor middle management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Senior Management has a great vision and path for the company. They make the right initiatives to ensure their workforce is taken care of. They also do a great job communicating with their company. Benefits package is well rounded and salary was on par.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between employees and middle management.

In the department I worked for, the manager was uninspiring and very unhelpful in assisting me to reach my goals. When there was a problem with my performance, all I was asked was what is the problem, as they had the assumption that I purposely didn't do my job. They offered nothing to me to contribute to my self improvement. My manager showed very little leadership.

Advice to Management

Allow your workforce to comment on their managers performance anonymously.