Softchoice - Softchoice is not sure what they want to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Softchoice

"Softchoice is not sure what they want to be"

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Most of the employees in the services area want to be effective, but the leadership does not seem to know what they want to do.

Cons

I was in services. In 2 years, I had 5 managers. Each one wanted to do something different. In fact, at the top of the services organization, there were 4 leaders in the period of time. The first one was removed by the others in senior leadership. I did not know him well, but it appeared that they felt intimidated since he was probably the only true leader in the company and had quite a following. He definitely had positive qualities that they don't. Then they brought in a good friend of theirs to run services who had been successful at a previous company. He said that it did not take him long to realize that he was sold a bill of goods and that he could not be successful at Softchoice. The third one was pretty sharp and seemed to understand the business very well. He had been successful in building a strong services practice at a company that Softchoice acquired. He said that Softchoice was breaking everything that he had created before the company was sold and left. The one that I am assuming is still currently leading the practice seems like a nice person. I do not know much about him since I left shortly after he took over. He was running IT previously before this move with, shall we say, mixed results.

The top executives say that they want to transform the business, but seem to have a lack of direction and are not interested in learning from those that have been successful at other organizations.

Advice to Management

Nothing - The already know best and are not interested in advice.

Other Employee Reviews for Softchoice

"No training, too much work for very low pay"

Pros

Good benefits that start day one, beercart fridays, laid back work environment.

Cons

Absolute worse training program ever, you're told the training is 3 months but all you do is transfer calls and administrative tasks for other reps, nothing that has to do with selling or the actual job. As a result you know nothing when you finish "training" very low pay

2. "Move to privatization may be a good thing"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Nice people, social company with lots of good activity with charities
    Lots of communication to employees like all-in-company calls and company events
    Good Company with strong financial results and a solid reputation

We were just bought by a private equity firm and from what I can see, I think that the move to privatization will allow the management team to make long term investments and allow the employees some time to digest and execute on these investments before rushing off to the next idea. This may help people settle in, focus on what they need to do and stay longer.

We heard this week that employees will have the chance to invest in the company. I want to know more details...but this sounds like it could be a great opportunity and one that few other companies can offer.

Cons

Lots of change...the pace can be very hectic
    Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others.

Advice to Management

Keep asking employees for ideas or suggestions on how we can be better and communicate back to us what we are doing with this feedback.