SolarCity - Working at SolarCity is great. 1 year and still stoked. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Working at SolarCity is great. 1 year and still stoked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The people who work here are smart and fun. SolarCity attracts people who favor execution over appearance. This makes for a culture of competence and activity.
2) Company mission is super important. What is more universal and urgent than changing the way we produce and consume energy? Its a world-wide issue that couldn't be more current.
3) Here people really participate. With the amount of work to do there is no room for fat. Every position has important responsibilities that drive our goals forward. If you like naps at your desk, you probably wont be here for long.

Cons

1) Parking is tough. Our HQ building is packed to the brim so while we are making plans for expansion it is takes alot of time to shuttle to a nearby parking lot that has more space.
2) Lots to do and minimal guidance. If you value working independently this could be a good thing, but if you rely on lots of structure created by management it may be tough to operate here.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

1. "If you really want to Be part of a team, SolarCity is the place to go!"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SolarCity is a company that has one of the most team-oriented environments I have ever worked for in my decade or so in recruiting. The support you get from management to be creative is tremendous, even if ultimately disagreed upon; Management will let you know very candidly the reasons why there may be some disagreement while at the same time encouraging you to keep being creative! I can honestly that that at least within my own team that no one is ever left in the dark and management does everything they can to remain transparent at all times. There are very few egos here and everyone is super receptive to new ideas and methodologies. Again, the support from most everyone here is unmarked.

Cons

Downsides to SolarCity are honestly not that many. We work a lot of hours but this goes for everyone in the company, not just a select few. This however is insignificant as far as I am concerned as being part of this company has that entrepreneurial feel and believe it or not actually makes you want to put in the extra time to see the vision through. It’s like we’re in the trenches but we are all in the trenches and were all there together which makes it exciting! We do get a good amount of vacation time so if you really need a vacation, then take one! You'll even be paid for it! I personally could also use some additional support however management is aware of it and is taking all of the needed steps to alleviate some of the pressure. We're just growing so fast that we sometimes can't keep up! Some of the software I personally use could be a little bit better however again management understands this and actually agrees with it and is looking into alternative options as of right now.

Advice to Management

Pay us just a tiny bit more and get us just a few additional tools and support (i.e. better software, more team members)

2. "Best company I've worked for!"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SolarCity values their employees and their abilities. They strive to hire people not only for their talent but for their potential as well. It is a place where employees can continue to grow professionally and are recognized for what they can contribute. Everyone's ideas are important and always taken into consideration. SolarCity strongly encourages career growth and often promotes from within. It's a true team environment!

Cons

There are no "cons" in working for SolarCity. I am thrilled to be a part of such a dynamic, growing team!

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! You are on the path to great success! It's no wonder SolarCity is #1 in the industry.