SolarCity - AWESOME COMPANY WITH AN INCREDIBLE FUTURE! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"AWESOME COMPANY WITH AN INCREDIBLE FUTURE!"

Current Employee - Management in Beltsville, MD
Current Employee - Management in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Bright, intelligent colleagues
*Helping sustain and improve the planet...awesome company mission.
*Being part of a company that is growing by leaps and bounds
*Fast paced culture
*Get to create your role and job as the company has not been around for 70+ years
*Founders heavily involved in running the company, are accessible and visible. They have monthly update meetings to keep entire team informed what is going on.

Cons

*Not a job for those who don't like change.
*Individuals who are looking for nine to five job, keep looking. Not the right company for you.

Advice to Management

Let's not let the fact that we are now public stifle our creativity or our culture. This is a phenomenal company.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

1. "Come on board!"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Stable company for someone who is interested in long term growth
    -Brilliant uppermanagement
    -Lots of room for upward mobility within the company

Cons

-Still growing and must be able to adapt to changes

"SolarCity has been the most influential employer in my young career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I first began at SolarCity roughly two and a half years ago, when the company was still quite new and embarking on its expansion to the East Coast. They took a chance on me, seeing potential in a young college graduate who was eager to learn with only non-corporate previous work experience. Since my first day, not a single day goes by where I do not learn something which I did not know before. My experience has been ripe with lessons in customer service, organization, project management and creativity. Having been at the company for several years, I've had the opportunity to work with many people in both supporting departments within the company and outside of the company. Learning how to communicate with outside sources, be it the utility companies or customers, has been an invaluable lesson. Almost every peer I've had the pleasure of working with has been supportive and helpful. There is a strong team environment and I always feel supported in my decisions and responsibilities. One of the best things about the company is the mission to provide the country with access to renewable, clean energy. Because the mission is so pure, I feel better about the work that I do, knowing that it has such an impact of the environment. Everyone works incredibly hard here, all trying to provide the best customer service possible and meet company goals.

Cons

While this is not a con for me personally, I have seen the effect that the nature of the company can have on others who are less adaptable to change. The company is a start up achieving rapid expansion, which means that there are growing pains. What may work for a certain amount of customers may not necessary work for a much larger amount, so process change and revision is constant. Also, as we work hand in hand with outside jurisdictions (such as HOAs, utility companies, and city/county permitting offices) we must learn to manage the ever-changing requirements to make sure our product is to code. I find this constant change exciting, but others have been overwhelmed as what you learn one week can be incorrect by the next week. In order to be successful for this company, one must be able to think quickly and be adaptable to change.

Advice to Management

I believe that Upper Management has done a good job of remaining supportive of all of the entry level positions, which can sometimes be a volatile start considering the rapidness with which processes change. Workers are putting in many hours to achieve the goal of the company, and it is nice to see signs of appreciation, especially if the salary grade is lower than potential expected when first starting. It is a young company and having just gone public, I think people are understanding of the need to be cost effective, and words of encouragement go a long way. Also, I think the recent efforts made in order to bridge communication between departments in order to help ensure customer satisfaction with communication will go a long ways in improving employee morale.