SolarCity - it is the most amazing job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"it is the most amazing job"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SolarCity takes good care of their Employees

Cons

be prepared to work long hours

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"You are only as good as your number"

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule
    my co-workers were great people

Cons

Make no mistake, they WILL fire you if you don't make quota. This is a big company, I had little training and little contact with managers. I made it clear I had entry level sales experience, I was an fea for 2 months before they "Separated" from me. They set me up to fail and someone who had never even met me personally or talked to me before fired me via speaker phone. Part of my quota was how many of my appointments sold, which I had limited control over. If you have new or crappy consultants, your out of luck! I understand that they need to make money off of me being there but the lack of training or coaching and the structure of the position needs to be reassessed. They gave up on me while I was still trying to figure everything out. Most of what I learned about solar and strategy I had learned from my co-workers. My quota wasn't even explained to me by my manager until a week before I had left. Expect anything you need to take forever.This company is growing too fast for its own good and the employees will suffer the growing pains until they figure out best practices. On the upside, I was happy to leave. The work was constant, the stress was high, and my level of frustration with everything by the time I left was something I was glad to unload when I walked out their doors. SolarCity is great for a lot of people, but just know what you are getting into. You are not part of a "team", you are completely expendable.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better. Reassess the quota structure so that each employee has full control over their own quota and does not depend on others to make their numbers.

"Immersive, Great People"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply put, any job is a job. SolarCity (I cannot speak for all departments) has the right people that make coming to work everyday a pleasure. Not only that, after a while it becomes more than just a job, you join the family in fighting for something you can truly believe in to make the world a better place.

Cons

Non 401k matching, food every so often. Not too much else really.

Advice to Management

Change your demeanor towards the people below you. It seems that we've slowly started to lose our start-up, care of all mentality and upper management seems to only concern itself with his or her own back and the numbers. People aren't just a statistic at companies that care and thrive. Needless to say, if you want and you're aggressive enough you will have their ear. Whether it sticks remains to be seen.