SolarCity - Exciting and at the same time Volitile | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Exciting and at the same time Volitile"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great product
-Disruptive technology
-Feels good to help the environment
-Great coworkers
-Best software being used in the industry
-Company is probably the best positioned company in the industry to last. The company is making strong efforts to make sure we can

Cons

-Relatively low pay for the work and for the industry
-Most poeple feel that the pay scale is very top heavy on the executive level. I'm not talking about CEO level, but all the others.
-There are so many new Directors, and RVP's and Area managers, it is impossible to keep track of the organization. And from the top view, this is probably fine. But for the underlings, it's not comforting to not know who you are actually working for.
-The office is pretty drab. This is not your ping pong, free snacks and Odwala company. This is come in to work, sit in a cubicle and grind.
-No benefits. Seriously, the benefits are really weak. In order to stay a lean, they have trimmed off all the fat. Can we get a gym discount??? Anything?
-Jobs are cancelled if they aren't cookie cutter. We seem to start ideas and team and change them without giving them the full support necessary.
-The company will change direction of the company on a dime. This leaves employees out in the cold many times.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"Great if your new to sales and dont have to feed a family"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They like to think it is a fun place to work.

Cons

In my 10 years of sales experience I have never been asked to work that hard for he amount of money they pay you. In the interview they will sell you on how great the company is and how reps here make over $100k a year. Which is not the case an average rep there makes $40k a year if you make it to a year. There is a very high turn over. The product they want you to sell is most expensive in the industry and is not even close to the best. They will want you to drink the company juice and get of the "we are the best ship", but its smoke and mirrors. It is a 2 week training for a reason, if you actually learned about the products and what the competition is selling you will have a hard time selling this product to your friends and family. If this is your first sales gig or you only option for employment do it till you find something better, but this is not a company that you can build a career with. Good luck

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about growing the business as fast as possible and focus on running the best solar company possible. rapid growth + poorly ran = bubble

"They use an altruistic company objective to exploit their workforce"

Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people who work at SolarCity are second to none. Great people to be around, and they are all very passionate about their work.

Cons

Got hired into a department that was dissolved two weeks after I began. I was given an ultimatum to either join the solar sales team or find employment elsewhere. Two weeks into solar sales we were told that our sales team would be dissolved by the end of the year, and so we had to start looking at different career opportunities. Spent the remaining three months watching the team get managed out of the business.

In my time with the company I saw:

-Employees get put on TWO WEEK Performance Improvement Plans after falling short of their ramp-up targets. These employees were promptly fired at the end of their ten day PIP. In my opinion, two weeks is hardly enough time to deliver sales results in an industry that has an average sales cycle of about 10 days.
    -Women colleagues were asked to explain to team managers in writing about how they would compete in a "male dominated profession"
    -Three separate departments where dissolved and many of their team members quietly laid off without any sort of discussion about the business justification for these decisions.

A word of advice to anyone considering working at SolarCity: Management preaches about their undying commitment to save the planet with solar. However, as a publicly traded company, management is beholden to one thing only: Delivering a profit to share holders. They have not turned a profit yet, and will continue to make cost cutting maneuvers until they can get out of the red. Ultimately, there is no end in site for the business volatility, menial pay, and aggressive management techniques. If you are 100% committed to selling solar, do it with a company that will justly compensate you for your time and commitment.

Advice to Management

If you continue to treat employees like expendable resources, you are going to have a bigger issue then the utility companies to deal with.