SolarCity - Awesome companhy to Work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Awesome companhy to Work for"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You create your destiny, if you work hard and smart you can conquor mountains and build yourself a great business of referrals. Management is helpful and can assist in complicated issues.

Cons

Lots of change and some people are very new, but things are improving in this area. Management is sometimes overwhelmed and your immediate needs maybe put off for a while.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and look at peoples past successes before making a decision

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"Great Place to work with lost of opportunity for growth! Fun company with an amazing mission"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to be apart of the next big Change

Cons

With change come the need to be willing to adapt quickly

Advice to Management

Believe in a better way :-)

"Chew you up and spit you out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved SolarCity at first. Great co-workers and my job itself was challenging and fun. And to be part of a movement that is helping our planet felt good too. I saw this company as a place I would like to retire from and I am relatively young.

Cons

Then the honeymoon was over. You were told you weren't working fast enough or doing enough. I was told "you don't have to work harder, but smarter." Meanwhile, tools weren't provided to do so and you ended up working long hours at a low salary pay. I worked many 10-12 hour days. People were burned out and the stress and tension in the air made it tough to work there. While I loved the employees I worked with, the lack of work/life balance really takes a toll.

Management is really poor in certain departments and unless you're in sales, training is quite poor. If you have any issues or go to HR, they are no help and very disorganized as well. It's appalling as HR is pretty cut and dry and not a new industry like solar. No excuses there.

Advice to Management

I know as a publicly traded company now, you have to turn a profit and get out of the red and cutting back/cutting corners is inevitable. But burning your employees is not a wise solution. More often than not, successful companies have mostly happy employees. While most of the reviews on here are 5-star and short, I think they have been created artificially by the recruiting team to make potential new hires want to work there. While I worked for your establishment, many employees were unhappy. I hope this review might raise more awareness as I see your potential to be successful and I truly believe in your cause.