SolarCity - Great starting place | Glassdoor

"Great starting place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are young this is a great place to get experience and skills. If you are smart and have a good idea, you will likely be heard. If you are consistently smart, you will be given responsibilities way over your pay grade and what your background would justify. The CEO and COO are very likable, and the general level of talent is surprisingly high.

Cons

The opportunity for new responsibility makes it is easy to burn out here. Expect to work long hours. The idea of a work-life balance is openly mocked. The culture is militaristic, you're with us or against us, at war with the utilities, etc. Advancement is very political and sometimes it feels as if you are just as likely to get fired as get promoted. Turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Some of the leadership is out of touch, and the idea of a lean start up has been taken to an extreme. Top talent is attracted to this company for great reasons but they are burning out!

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"I am Living My Dreams!!"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So, I am in a "sales" position, but I don't have to ask people for money. It's really that simple. I offer people power at a lower rate than they pay now. No money up front. Savings in the first month. This is the easiest thing I've ever "sold".

SolarCity is and will continue to change the world. I am so happy to be a part of it. The amount of sales required per month is minimal. We actually aren't judged on "sales" per se, but we are judged on how many "Families" we have helped. It is small and simple, but the mentality of what I do every day is based on helping. Helping save humanity, helping families save money on their bills, or helping people become educated on a new alternative to monopolistic utility corporations. The company fosters this type of thinking.

Also, we give solar power and lighting to a 3rd world school for every 1MW of solar we install on peoples homes. Helping to increase education levels in the world is very important to me, and it really makes me feel good that our founders care.

I am also a supporter of the philosophies of Elon Musk, our chairman, together we are making a positive impact on the world. I am a very proud person right now.

Cons

This is a disruptive technology that is changing a very entrenched sector of our reality. With this comes some uncertainty (as with any company, there are no crystal balls).

If you want to sit back and collect a check, go work somewhere else. We are changing the world, and it's hard work. So you must do hard work to make this change. I feel great after working hard, some people don't.

The only constant in life is CHANGE. Get used to it, be adaptable. Lots of change here. Mostly all good.

You have to understand the long term goals of SolarCity. Understand why they do or change what they do. Then it all makes sense.

I would have to say that training could be more effective and more extensive.

As always, there are some people who complain and are lazy. Stay away from that negativity, and stick to the people with great attitudes and work ethics.

Advice to Management

Deconstruct the sales process to the basic parts. Train those only, first. Then layer advanced trainings in along the way. This is a very easy and basic sale. I think people who haven't succeeded yet are complicating the consultation.

"Fast paced, profitable, & changing the world for good!"

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up everyday knowing that I am making a difference locally, nationally, and globally. We are growing so fast that there are great opportunities for people willing to work hard and make a difference! I got great tools day #1 to do my job. In general I get to spend 90% of my time and mental energy with customers and coworkers who pump me up and give me faith in our future.

Cons

We are growing so fast that some great, well meaning folks who believe in our mission, but need a lot more guidance, can get left behind. You really need to be on your game coming into this company.

Advice to Management

Make sure we keep hiring people who really do have what it takes (heart, drive, talent) to keep this industry thriving for the long term. That means sometimes not hiring the best salesman in the short term to get the salesperson that cares most about quality in the long term.