SolarCity - Fast Pace and Growing | Glassdoor

"Fast Pace and Growing"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young, active and friendly people. I've made life long friends here.

Cons

lots of changes. nobody takes ownership of problems. Its a highly driven sales organization. Sell Sell Sell.

Advice to Management

No specific advice but for the most part management is lacking. Its great for folks young in their career looking to get into management because you can get promoted quickly.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"One of the hardest and worst sales jobs I've ever had."

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a good manager that gave me some valuable tools. You're helping the environment. When I was there, if you make 7 sales each month, you will get a company car after 3 months.

Cons

You're basically working hard 7 day's a week. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with that if you can earn a nice size income, but that is not the case. The commission structure is so low which really prevents this.

Every month you start out fresh having to make 7 new sales per month, which is not as easy as they say. If you don't, there is a good chance you will loose your job. Once you make the sale, there is a huge amount of work that needs to be done to keep the client through the final closing which averages 2 - 3 months. You're expected to do all this work to keep the client while you're out trying to makes 7 new sales a month.

The main source of leads, especially for the first 6 months, comes from trying to talk to every person that walks into The Home Depot. That get's old pretty quickly.

Finally I hope they stop telling new recruites that the salary is $50,000 as long as you make the 7 sales per month. That is not the case, it's $35,000.

Advice to Management

You need to increase the commissions for salepeople. I know you're a publically traded company that is only worried about the financials for the next quarter. However, you will keep churning people if you keep these practices. Also maybe do some more marketing and advertising to help the salespeople out once in a while with some leads.

"awesome"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive,fast pace,casual, green energy,energetic coworkers

Cons

limited parking, long hours,hard work

Advice to Management

communicate more