SolarCity - Read the other reviews and notice what's missing . . . . | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

"Read the other reviews and notice what's missing . . . ."

Current Employee - Retail Energy Consultant
Current Employee - Retail Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn some good basic information about the company and the solar industry in general. The company's training course and interview process are pretty in-depth, and they will make you feel very welcome and integral to the corporation in the beginning. There is also no real wait for benefits --if you are hired full time, the health care kicks in after 30 days! I will honestly say I've never worked for a company that turns on the health care that quickly!

Cons

This is a company that has good ideas and a great product, but conducts itself backwards in regards to its employees. You have your advisers who are set up in retail environments (read mall kiosks) or in partnership with Home Depot who qualify potential customers and set up appointments for field consultants. The consultants go out to the houses in question and try to close the deal by preparing an individualized plan for the customer. Above them are managers, their managers, VP's, etc. Here's the backwards part: the people responsible for kicking all of this off (the retail energy advisers, or REA's) get the least amount of reward. They are tossed into a mall setting where people have no inclination to buy solar power. They have to rope them in, get their information, qualify their homes online, and set up appointments. For this they get a yearly salary of $20-25k and a small commission (half of which gets taxed away by the federal government). The company rewards from the top down, not the bottom up. The workers on the bottom rung of the ladder really get it in the pants from both a workload and rewards aspect.
  There is also no way to get ahead. In a retail environment, your only chance is to get "promoted" out to a Home Depot partnership, where your quota will raise significantly. From there, if you exceed that quota for three months straight (odds are you won't), you might get a chance at being promoted to a field energy consultant (FEC'S) position. This position is that carrot dangled over all REA's --and you will never see it. Especially since they seem to hire directly for the FEC spots, as opposed to promoting them from the lower ranks.
  Last year, in my territory, they shut down the entire retail section. We were told that we were going to be hired onto the Home Depot partnership, as they were short-handed and we were already trained. Instead we were all laid off with so much as a thank you from the company --something that they appeared to do across the country to many retail spots. They didn't even inform our local FEC group, as one of them called me to thank me for a lead that closed the same day. I won't even harp on the $300 of owed commission I was cheated out of.
  This is a company that is constantly in a state of reorganization, and it seems to only drastically reorganize in the lower ranks --by pruning them. Read the other reviews and realize that most of them are from FEC's, techs, or other operations personnel vs the amount reviews listed by REA's or even FEA's. Also look at reviews within the last year and notice the upswing in negatives compared to before. This should tell you something.

Advice to Management

I never met my manager, as she managed over a dozen locations in various states and all we did was phone conference. I met her manager once, when he came in and changed our location and critiqued our performances. I met the Home Depot partnership manager for our area once when she visited our state, but then she couldn't be bother to return a phone call or email afterwards. This was pretty symptomatic with all management --the occasional phone or internet conference vs actually meeting with them. I also found myself being treated like an inferior human being from time-to-time, despite the fact I probably have more job and management experience under my belt than some of these individuals.
   Management doesn't seem to care about the people at the bottom and it shows. My co-workers and I could never get a straight answer to anything we asked --and that's only in the rare instance when we'd hear back from anyone. Management only seems to care about numbers and that things are being run their way. Try actually being honest with your employees once in a while --but before that, you'll actually have to learn to talk to them.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

"Fast Pace and Growing"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young, active and friendly people. I've made life long friends here.

Cons

lots of changes. nobody takes ownership of problems. Its a highly driven sales organization. Sell Sell Sell.

Advice to Management

No specific advice but for the most part management is lacking. Its great for folks young in their career looking to get into management because you can get promoted quickly.

"One of the hardest and worst sales jobs I've ever had."

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a good manager that gave me some valuable tools. You're helping the environment. When I was there, if you make 7 sales each month, you will get a company car after 3 months.

Cons

You're basically working hard 7 day's a week. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with that if you can earn a nice size income, but that is not the case. The commission structure is so low which really prevents this.

Every month you start out fresh having to make 7 new sales per month, which is not as easy as they say. If you don't, there is a good chance you will loose your job. Once you make the sale, there is a huge amount of work that needs to be done to keep the client through the final closing which averages 2 - 3 months. You're expected to do all this work to keep the client while you're out trying to makes 7 new sales a month.

The main source of leads, especially for the first 6 months, comes from trying to talk to every person that walks into The Home Depot. That get's old pretty quickly.

Finally I hope they stop telling new recruites that the salary is $50,000 as long as you make the 7 sales per month. That is not the case, it's $35,000.

Advice to Management

You need to increase the commissions for salepeople. I know you're a publically traded company that is only worried about the financials for the next quarter. However, you will keep churning people if you keep these practices. Also maybe do some more marketing and advertising to help the salespeople out once in a while with some leads.